Old 21-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Gail Futoran

"sean mckinney" wrote in message

Chainhome Wrote:
Thanks Sean, (and all other reply-ers)
I didn't realise UK taddies could overwinter (I don't think we get
bullfrogs naturally over here in Blighty).Cheers
CH

I didnt think they overwintered either, until mine did it last year, I
think it give the ones that over winter as tadpoles a head start next
year.
Bullfrogs are another invasive introduced species in the UK and a
threat to the native species, they should, IMO, be irradicated if seen
and if seen it might be an idea to report the sighting to the likes of
defra.

--
sean mckinney

This probably isn't the same as the OP's situation,
but in case... I've had green frog tadpoles in my
in-ground pond for a few years. This year for fun
I scooped a few tadpoles out and set them up in an
Eclipse 3 aquarium I use off and on as a hospital
tank (for tropical fish). It was great fun to watch the
little buggers (the tadpoles...) change!

After awhile I decided to move them back to the
pond. That was late spring and I'm *still* seeing
tadpoles in the in-ground pond without legs or just
the beginnings of legs. At least know I know they're
not the original tadpoles from this spring. Rather
that the frogs are breeding throughout the summer.

I don't know what happens to the froglets but
there's a relatively large grassy/weedy/viney area
just behind the pond where they can hide. I imagine
predators get quite a few.

Gail
near San Antonio TX