Old 12-01-2003, 08:31 AM
JennyC

Default Lurker introduces...

"Martin Brown" wrote
"N. van Burgsteden" wrote:

Because of the lack of good newsgroups in the Netherlands,

Is nl.tuinen not any good ? I'm English so it is too hard for me

to read it.

See my previous posting.

I have decided to see what this one could bring...

Welcome. Though I reckon Dutch nurserymen grow more and better

plants... and
especially bulbs.

That is probably true Martin, but means that Dutch gardeners can
easily and cheaply buy things that one might have to grow oneself in
the UK ! This means that I have to stock up with lots of things in the
UK when I visit because the garden centres here don't stock much in
the way of propagation equipment.

A consequence of the availability and low price of plants here means
that people go down to the garden centre and stock up with a complete
garden in one go. This is also made possible by the fact that the
gardens here are mostly a lot smaller than in the UK :~) I always
laugh when Gardeners World mentions a 'small' garden.........that
would be a huge one here.

Because I also find that the average quality of gardens here in
Holland is higher than that in the UK. In Britain we have an amount of
really splendid gardens, but there are also a lot of ones that look
like a tip. Could also be due to the difference in mentality - the
Dutch are less eccentric than we are and tend to worry more about what
the neighbours will think............:~)))

snipped

Jenny