Old 11-01-2003, 02:37 PM
N. van Burgsteden

Default Lurker introduces...

Hello,

Because of the lack of good newsgroups in the Netherlands, I have decided to
see what this one could bring... the climate is comparable, maybe the soil
types differ, but I think that this newsgroup could help me in case of plant
trouble. British ppl do have a name for good gardens!

As I said, my back yard is in Holland, in the city called Ede. Sandy ground,
low ground water level and a very moderate climate, with quite a lot of
rain. Last november/december we put up a new fence around the garden, and
stripped it from everything, except for a trunk of Robinia Acacia with all
roots still intact. I plan to jerk that one out next spring.

So... I'll see if anything useful pops up, and let you know how my gardening
efforts are working out. I won't be posting a lot, because I don't have a
lot of spare time.

Greetings,

Marco van Burgsteden (using the email adress of his wife)

Old 11-01-2003, 04:01 PM
Michael Berridge

N. van Burgsteden wrote in message
[...]

Welcome Marco and I hope you will find useful information here. We do
have a set of FAQs the address details of which someone will presumably
give you as I have forgotten it..

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 11-01-2003, 05:27 PM
Martin Brown

"N. van Burgsteden" wrote:

Because of the lack of good newsgroups in the Netherlands,

Is nl.tuinen not any good ? I'm English so it is too hard for me to read it.

I have decided to
see what this one could bring... the climate is comparable, maybe the soil
types differ, but I think that this newsgroup could help me in case of plant
trouble. British ppl do have a name for good gardens!

Welcome. Though I reckon Dutch nurserymen grow more and better plants... and
especially bulbs.

As I said, my back yard is in Holland, in the city called Ede. Sandy ground,
low ground water level and a very moderate climate, with quite a lot of rain.

Very similar climate and growing conditions to parts of East Anglia in the UK.

I'm on solid clay with a high water table. Not so moderate winter this year
though. Temperature outside has dipped to around -12C recently and not been
above 0 for a week. Some tender things look decidedly unwell in my unheated
greenhouse. Most years are milder. This has been a serious cold spell. More than
10cm of ice on the pond - starting to get very difficult to make a hole in it
daily.

So cold that wild parakeets were raiding my garden taking nuts for finches and
bluetits this morning.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 11-01-2003, 10:51 PM
snafu steve

[...]

Welcome aboard Marco

I have always admired the dutch for their gardening and particularly their
love of house plants. During the seventies I spent a total of five years
stationed in Osnabruck, not that far from the border, and we used to go to
places like Hengelo etc, as well as driving back to Hoek v Holland. Also a
few years ago we visited Keukenhof, which was fantastic.

You are quite right that the climate is similar, but how is it right now
over there, freezing? I went to my allotment today, and couldn't get a fork
in the ground. The water containers have 50-75mm (2-3") of ice on top of
them, and my broad beans have keeled over. And I live near Bournemouth on
the south coast, one of the "warmer" parts, at least in theory. I didn't
stay down there long.

Do I gather from your post that you stripped the entire garden and are
starting from scratch? That's something I never had the courage to do, I
always get "We'll just keep a couple of things so it doesn't look so bare".
Let us know how it goes.

Regards
Steve

Old 12-01-2003, 08:19 AM
JennyC

"N. van Burgsteden" wrote
Hello,
Because of the lack of good newsgroups in the Netherlands, I have

decided to
see what this one could bring...

Welcome to URG Marco.
I am British but have lived in Holland for the past 30 odd
years..........I agree with you that the Dutch newsgroups are not very
good !!
They are friendly enough but the level of knowledge is not as deep as
here in URG :~)) Maybe gardeners here are less inclined to grow their
own seeds, do cuttings etc because plants are so cheap here in the
Netherlands.

My garden home page
:http://members.rott.chello.nl/ldejag...ex.welcome.htm

the climate is comparable, maybe the soil
types differ, but I think that this newsgroup could help me in case

of plant
trouble. British ppl do have a name for good gardens!

Soil and climate are indeed comparable with certain parts of the UK.
And weather wise, we mostly get what Britain gad yesterday.

As I said, my back yard is in Holland, in the city called Ede. Sandy

ground,
low ground water level and a very moderate climate, with quite a lot

of
rain.

I'm in Rotterdam now, but lived for some time in Dalfsen, Wapenveld

and Hattem :~)

Last november/december we put up a new fence around the garden, and
stripped it from everything, except for a trunk of Robinia Acacia

with all
roots still intact. I plan to jerk that one out next spring.

Do you have a home page where you could show us your garden ??
If so you could also join the URG webring.

So... I'll see if anything useful pops up, and let you know how my

gardening
efforts are working out. I won't be posting a lot, because I don't

have a
lot of spare time. Greetings,
Marco van Burgsteden (using the email adress of his wife)

Make time to pop in Marco, I'm sure you will find this a very useful
and friendly group :~)
BTW The URG homepage can be found at :
http://www.tmac.clara.net/urgring/index.htm
Jenny

Old 12-01-2003, 08:31 AM
JennyC

"Martin Brown" wrote
"N. van Burgsteden" wrote:

Because of the lack of good newsgroups in the Netherlands,

Is nl.tuinen not any good ? I'm English so it is too hard for me

to read it.

See my previous posting.

I have decided to see what this one could bring...

Welcome. Though I reckon Dutch nurserymen grow more and better

plants... and
especially bulbs.

That is probably true Martin, but means that Dutch gardeners can
easily and cheaply buy things that one might have to grow oneself in
the UK ! This means that I have to stock up with lots of things in the
UK when I visit because the garden centres here don't stock much in
the way of propagation equipment.

A consequence of the availability and low price of plants here means
that people go down to the garden centre and stock up with a complete
garden in one go. This is also made possible by the fact that the
gardens here are mostly a lot smaller than in the UK :~) I always
laugh when Gardeners World mentions a 'small' garden.........that
would be a huge one here.

Because I also find that the average quality of gardens here in
Holland is higher than that in the UK. In Britain we have an amount of
really splendid gardens, but there are also a lot of ones that look
like a tip. Could also be due to the difference in mentality - the
Dutch are less eccentric than we are and tend to worry more about what
the neighbours will think............:~)))

snipped

Jenny

Houston lurker needs cicada advice... Lynda LeCompte Texas 13 20-06-2005 04:19 AM
Lurker Delurks WRabbit United Kingdom 4 08-04-2005 10:15 PM
Questions from a Lurker Wrench Edible Gardening 13 24-01-2004 05:03 PM
Im a Lurker :) Bugsy Permaculture 8 06-10-2003 09:23 AM