Old 27-09-2005, 12:36 AM

Rob wrote:
A few people asked me for pieces of it, but it is so married to its
mount that it would be impossible... I suppose I could mericlone it, if
I could find a lab that does that. Maybe I'll just self it and see what
happens. Unless somebody out there has a nice Enc. diota var.
atrorubens that is seeking love and affection.

Rob,

I currently have an Encyclia atrorubens in spike. Should be blooming
in about 6 weeks, I think. Yours will probably be done by then, but
perhaps you could save me some pollen? Email if you are interested.
I've tried selfing. Capsules developed nicely, but the seed lacked
embryos.

IIRC, Encyclia diota is spring blooming, while E. atrorubens is autumn
blooming. For me, that's enough to accept them as distinct species.
It would certainly tend to induce reproductive isolation.

Nick
myrmecodia-at-yahoo-dot-com