Old 27-09-2005, 02:59 PM
Rob

I currently have an Encyclia atrorubens in spike. Should be blooming
in about 6 weeks, I think. Yours will probably be done by then, but
perhaps you could save me some pollen? Email if you are interested.
I've tried selfing. Capsules developed nicely, but the seed lacked
embryos.

IIRC, Encyclia diota is spring blooming, while E. atrorubens is autumn
blooming. For me, that's enough to accept them as distinct species.
It would certainly tend to induce reproductive isolation.

Nick
myrmecodia-at-yahoo-dot-com

I did not know about the bloom season difference. That would be enough
for me to separate them as well. I believe my plant has bloomed in the
spring before, as well, but that was under lights. Who knows what
season the poor plant thought it was...

--
Rob's Rules:
http://littlefrogfarm.com