Old 30-09-2005, 01:50 AM
Garry Williams

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 21:04:35 GMT, "Barry"
wrote:

I've been trying to grow rose for several years, without too much success.
They do produce some roses, but the plants seem to be stunted.
Recently I read that Walnut trees produce a toxin that hurts the growth of
many plants.
My rose garden is just beyond the driip line of a Carparthian Walnut tree.
I'm wondering if that is the reason I haven't done to well growing roses.
Can anyone tell me if roses are one of the plants that are affected by the
toxin?

Besides the toxins, I would worry about having my roses that close to
any tree, period, because the tree is going to suck up moisture and
nutrients that the roses need. Tree roots go a looong ways out. Move
the roses, if that's feasible, and if not, the only thing I can
suggest is trying to install a barrier to keep the tree roots away.
However, that might be a lot of work for something that may end up
being ultimately futile.

Sorry to be so negative, but trees, particularly those that give off
toxins, don't get along well with roses.

Garry