Old 30-09-2005, 09:53 AM
Mark and Kim Smith

Reel Mckoi wrote:

"Daniel Morrow" wrote in message

Mid posted.

"Reel Mckoi" wrote in message

"Daniel Morrow" wrote in message
Mid posted.

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
Looks like pump change out will be a regular maintenance chore
around
here. Dang snails like plugging up the impeller!

Couldn't you just use a foam prefilter to keep the snails out? It
seems
like
that would work. Good luck and later!
=========================
Have you tried the foam prefilters?

I use them all of the time in my tanks.

## I used them in my fish tanks as well. They don't work the same in
ponds though. They clog with algae and plant debris rapidly. They
would probably work well if there are no plants and the pond was
mostly shaded.

I find them worthless as they clog

constantly. They sometimes needed twice daily cleaning.

There should exist a course enough foam prefilter to use successfully
with
ponds that requires once every 4 days or 1 week a cleaning. I use a 10
dollar aquareminder to tell me when to clean my tanks' foam prefilters,
which is every 4 days. Interesting dilemma the original poster has
apparently.

## You can say that again.

I use coarse

sponge filters in my fry pools and they need cleaning every few days
although they keep the water crystal clear. As a prefilter we're using

the

plant baskets wired to together like clam shells with a hole for the
cord
and hose to exit. They never clog. :-)

I'm glad it works!:-)

## Me too! I clean them once a year, in the late fall when I pull the
pumps up to clean and put away for the winter. I'm tempted to set up
one of my 55 gallon tanks and bring in a few baby butterfly koi or
shubunkin goldfish. I put all my tanks away a few years ago. I'm
glad I didn't sell them.

The intake sits towards the back of my "clarifier". 2" pipe with a
screen. I could probably put a mesh on that would allow the smaller
snails which would pass through the pump while blocking the larger ones,
but I'm just not that concerned. Foam is not an option. I would have
to clean it every 4 hours!