Old 29-09-2005, 07:32 PM
Mark and Kim Smith

Default Curse Those Snails!!!!!

Looks like pump change out will be a regular maintenance chore around
here. Dang snails like plugging up the impeller! At least I have it
down to a 20 min chore! I probably should get to cleaning out that
second filter barrel. And here I thought this would be less maintenance
than mowing a lawn. Well, I guess it is! Probably more fun too!
Old 29-09-2005, 08:30 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
Looks like pump change out will be a regular maintenance chore around
here. Dang snails like plugging up the impeller! At least I have it down
to a 20 min chore! I probably should get to cleaning out that second
filter barrel. And here I thought this would be less maintenance than
mowing a lawn. Well, I guess it is! Probably more fun too!

================================
I don't get snails in the impellers but they do get into the filter
material. I hose out as many as possible but they're all back again in a
few days.
--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 29-09-2005, 11:55 PM
Daniel Morrow

Mid posted.

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
Looks like pump change out will be a regular maintenance chore around
here. Dang snails like plugging up the impeller!

Couldn't you just use a foam prefilter to keep the snails out? It seems like
that would work. Good luck and later!

Old 30-09-2005, 12:08 AM
~Roy

Don't know how much area your pond covers or how much / type
vegetation is in it, but I slice up a zuchinni squash and place it in
my natural pond and preforms just before the sun goes down, and first
thing in the morning I take a net and scoop it up, and its literally
covered with snails, even if they have tons of other vegetation and
detrius to eat......I do the same in my aquariums if I get a snail
infestation....only I slice the zuchinni into thin slices instead of
strips.. Snails for some reason can not resist zuchinni squash. Their
welcome to it, as I can;t stand eating it.

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:55:57 -0700, "Daniel Morrow"
wrote:

===Mid posted.
===
===
==="Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
=== Looks like pump change out will be a regular maintenance chore around
=== here. Dang snails like plugging up the impeller!
===
===Couldn't you just use a foam prefilter to keep the snails out? It seems like
===that would work. Good luck and later!
===
=== At least I have it
=== down to a 20 min chore! I probably should get to cleaning out that
=== second filter barrel. And here I thought this would be less maintenance
=== than mowing a lawn. Well, I guess it is! Probably more fun too!
===

"The original frugal ponder"

Old 30-09-2005, 12:13 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Daniel Morrow" wrote in message
Mid posted.

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
Looks like pump change out will be a regular maintenance chore around
here. Dang snails like plugging up the impeller!

Couldn't you just use a foam prefilter to keep the snails out? It seems
like
that would work. Good luck and later!

=========================
Have you tried the foam prefilters? I find them worthless as they clog
constantly. They sometimes needed twice daily cleaning. I use coarse
sponge filters in my fry pools and they need cleaning every few days
although they keep the water crystal clear. As a prefilter we're using the
plant baskets wired to together like clam shells with a hole for the cord
and hose to exit. They never clog. :-)

Old 30-09-2005, 02:38 AM
Daniel Morrow

Mid posted.

"Reel Mckoi" wrote in message

"Daniel Morrow" wrote in message
Mid posted.

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
Looks like pump change out will be a regular maintenance chore around
here. Dang snails like plugging up the impeller!

Couldn't you just use a foam prefilter to keep the snails out? It seems
like
that would work. Good luck and later!

=========================
Have you tried the foam prefilters?

I use them all of the time in my tanks.

I find them worthless as they clog
constantly. They sometimes needed twice daily cleaning.

There should exist a course enough foam prefilter to use successfully with
ponds that requires once every 4 days or 1 week a cleaning. I use a 10
dollar aquareminder to tell me when to clean my tanks' foam prefilters,
which is every 4 days. Interesting dilemma the original poster has
apparently.

I use coarse
sponge filters in my fry pools and they need cleaning every few days
although they keep the water crystal clear. As a prefilter we're using

the
plant baskets wired to together like clam shells with a hole for the cord
and hose to exit. They never clog. :-)

I'm glad it works!:-)

Old 30-09-2005, 03:29 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Reel Mckoi" wrote in message

"Daniel Morrow" wrote in message
Mid posted.

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
Looks like pump change out will be a regular maintenance chore around
here. Dang snails like plugging up the impeller!

Couldn't you just use a foam prefilter to keep the snails out? It seems
like
that would work. Good luck and later!

=========================
Have you tried the foam prefilters?

I use them all of the time in my tanks.

## I used them in my fish tanks as well. They don't work the same in ponds
though. They clog with algae and plant debris rapidly. They would probably
work well if there are no plants and the pond was mostly shaded.

I find them worthless as they clog
constantly. They sometimes needed twice daily cleaning.

There should exist a course enough foam prefilter to use successfully with
ponds that requires once every 4 days or 1 week a cleaning. I use a 10
dollar aquareminder to tell me when to clean my tanks' foam prefilters,
which is every 4 days. Interesting dilemma the original poster has
apparently.

## You can say that again.

I use coarse
sponge filters in my fry pools and they need cleaning every few days
although they keep the water crystal clear. As a prefilter we're using

the
plant baskets wired to together like clam shells with a hole for the cord
and hose to exit. They never clog. :-)

I'm glad it works!:-)

## Me too! I clean them once a year, in the late fall when I pull the pumps
up to clean and put away for the winter. I'm tempted to set up one of my 55
gallon tanks and bring in a few baby butterfly koi or shubunkin goldfish. I
put all my tanks away a few years ago. I'm glad I didn't sell them.
--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o
Make sure of which Reel McKoi you're replying to - the TROLL from
alt.religion.jehovahs-witn is using other people's names to bypass
killfiles. There are now TWO Reel McKoi's posting here.

Old 30-09-2005, 09:53 AM
Mark and Kim Smith

"Reel Mckoi" wrote in message

[...]

The intake sits towards the back of my "clarifier". 2" pipe with a
screen. I could probably put a mesh on that would allow the smaller
snails which would pass through the pump while blocking the larger ones,
but I'm just not that concerned. Foam is not an option. I would have
to clean it every 4 hours!

Old 30-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message

The intake sits towards the back of my "clarifier". 2" pipe with a
screen.

** I gave up on screens due to clogging not only with those tiny pond snails
but with plant debris and algae. My pumps didn't clog - the prefilters were
clogging and slowing the flow of water. I'm sure that wasn't good for the
pumps.

I could probably put a mesh on that would allow the smaller
snails which would pass through the pump while blocking the larger ones,
but I'm just not that concerned. Foam is not an option. I would have to
clean it every 4 hours!

** I hear you. That's why we use the plant baskets put together like clam
shells with a hole for the hose and electric cord to exit. The more
powerful pumps will run all summer without a problem. The smaller ones that
don't have sealed shafts will sometimes need the heavy slime coat removed
from the impeller well and impeller shaft.