Old 30-09-2005, 07:09 PM
Michel Bourgeois

Thank you Jim,

But yes it is not sold in Quebec! I have a bag here of Athletics Turface and
I know why it is not sold here. Because there is a law (the bill 101) who
restrict all products which are not written in French and in English. Few
years ago, French became a bit fragile and politicians did a great job to
protect it with this bill. Thanks to them, everything is in French here.

All Products you mentioned are made in US and it cost a lot to print special
bag with translation on it. An example? There is a real nice fine
woodworking tools store (the also sell gardening product)in Canada called
LeeValey. They are all over the Canada except for Quebec, because their
products are not written in French. Another example is in Sears catalogue, a
lot of product is written "Not sold in Quebec" and believe me... they don't
want to sell it in Quebec even if your child is crying to the girl on the
phone!!! :-) I am a pilot, and few years ago, we could not buy pilot stuff
for a year instead of going to Ottawa!

So. In Quebec, there is only 1 company who make the landscape stuff and this
is Fafard. They where enough "big" to print their bags in French and
English, just for the Quebec. But they don't sell anything. Baseball is not
enough popular here to have nice clean and perfect grass all over the
Quebec. The only, maybe, 20 real perfect grass diamonds, the owner buy their
product directly to US.

This is why, in the Bonsai context, it is expensive to grow big bonsai in
Quebec, and I hate paying too much for nothing! Let say like this! :-))))

Thank you for your help,

Michel