Old 30-09-2005, 02:14 PM

Default [IBC] Bonsai in Quebec

In a message dated 9/30/05 12:04:40 AM, Michel writes:
I hate being Quebecois "in the bonsai context." But I knew the "rest of the
world" wouldn't know the political situation here (in Quebec)!

We occasionally hear the reverberations. I am aware of the Separatist
movement (we also have one in Puerto Rico), and the fanatic wing of Francophones.
However, I have found the Montreal Botanic Garden delightful. What is wrong with
Quebec "in the bonsai context?" Is there a feud between Montreal and the
Toronto Bonsai Society?
Iris

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-09-2005, 03:27 PM
Michel Bourgeois

Hello Iris,

What I don't like here is only the climate. We have a lot of snow in the
winter, 3 to 4 feet and I live in a 3b zone so, I let you guess the damage
it can do to you Japanese Pines at -35C! And in the spring... all the snows
melt during the day and in the next night it goes to -15C! Poor little root!

We have a wonderful botanical Garden and wonderful people who work here, the
climate is so cold than we learn to be warm!!! :-) The only reason I want to
move to Alberta is the temperature there. Montreal is 5a zone and Toronto I
don't know. But the only thing I know... I want a zone really really really
hot!!!

What I dislike more is than I choose a passion which come from warmer zone
and where most of the master come from warmer zone... so when they say than
the best thing is this and that... I find nothing of this and I become
discouraged! :-( I would of like so much the history of bonsai would come
from Quebec and all the master would say: "The only best way to grow bonsai
is to learn how to grow sugar maple after it gaves a cup of suger water!!!"
:-)))

I still think I was such stupid to talk politic it was not my intention and
it is still not! And be sure... separatists are not fanatic at all!
Federalists neither.

Another example? Do you know what is in my stove this morning? 2 bags of
HARD akadama!!! Because it is not enough hard!!! I would become slush in the
next spring. I grow big bonsais "5 to 14 inches trunk" I did spend 1000$ca
this fall only for my soil! And I am still not sure if I did right. I made
40$ phone call to find Pumice here. Imagine the tree I would have for all
this money! When you read Walter Pall saying "I grow my big bonsais in 100%
pumice because it cost nothing!" and nobody here know pumice! A bag of 40
liters cost 5$... but 40$ shipping!!! This is why I hate than this such a
wonderfull Quebec is such in cold climate with a lot of snows!

This winter I will build a greenhouse and try to simulate a 6 or 7 zone...
it will cost a LOT of money to warm it!

Cordialy,

Michel

****
++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++
****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 30-09-2005, 04:20 PM
Nina

Michel, I've enjoyed reading your posts because you are obviously so
enthusiastic about bonsai. But as far as soil is concerned, you ought
to be able to work with what's available locally. As several people
have noted, the ingredients don't matter as much as the property of the
final mix: well-draining. The minimum you need is some sort of coarse
inert ingredient, and some sort of coarse water-retaining ingredient.
I use Turface MVP mixed with decomposed granite and fine pine bark.
Turface is an athletic field conditioner, so it might be available to
you locally; Profile's webpage has a dealer locator to find the place
nearest you that sells it. Or: My local nursery doesn't normally stock
it, but will order it specially for me.

Climate-wise, you have the same problem as our Swedish member, Stephan:
it's too darn cold where you are. But you do have some nice material
you can specialize in: pines, spruces, hemlocks, etc. Someone new to
bonsai will often want to do one tree of everything, but as one goes
on, one finds certain trees one has an affinity for. With any luck,
you'll find an affinity for a hardy tree.

Nina. I have an affinity for trash trees. It's sad.

Michel Bourgeois wrote:
Another example? Do you know what is in my stove this morning? 2 bags of
HARD akadama!!! [...]I made

Old 30-09-2005, 05:26 PM
Michel Bourgeois

Thank you Nina.

Hmmmm can I say Turface is not sold in Quebec?

But I found some in one of my friend's bonsai nursery.

Other thing: I will grow huge bonsais (they are in my "pre-bonsai field" for
now. So I will use 7mm soil which make turface not a possibility for my big
pines.

What I am afraid is than I will need to use 7mm peebles in my soil 50/50
with 7mm akadama... so it is a way lot heavy!!! I am not sure if the poor
akadama will resist to all this weight!

Thank you again,

Michel

Old 30-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Jim Lewis

Michel Bourgeois wrote:
Thank you Nina.

Hmmmm can I say Turface is not sold in Quebec?

No. You may not.

If you have track and field events in Quebec, SOMEONE has a
source for Turface or one of its MANY similar brand names --
Profile, Turface, Mule Mix, Terra Green, Shultz soil
conditioner, etc. etc. etc. This is the stuff they surface
the track with, and the runways to the broad, high and pole
jumps. If there are baseball diamonds in Quebec (?), the
entire infields of all baseball diamonds consist of this
stuff. Park and recreation departments use it for
playgrounds, as well as athletic fields.

I'll guarantee it is sold in or around Quebec -- somewhere.

Bonsai is a 100% minor -- VERY, VERY minor -- use for this
baked clay material.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 30-09-2005, 07:09 PM
Michel Bourgeois

Thank you Jim,

But yes it is not sold in Quebec! I have a bag here of Athletics Turface and
I know why it is not sold here. Because there is a law (the bill 101) who
restrict all products which are not written in French and in English. Few
years ago, French became a bit fragile and politicians did a great job to
protect it with this bill. Thanks to them, everything is in French here.

All Products you mentioned are made in US and it cost a lot to print special
bag with translation on it. An example? There is a real nice fine
woodworking tools store (the also sell gardening product)in Canada called
LeeValey. They are all over the Canada except for Quebec, because their
products are not written in French. Another example is in Sears catalogue, a
lot of product is written "Not sold in Quebec" and believe me... they don't
want to sell it in Quebec even if your child is crying to the girl on the
phone!!! :-) I am a pilot, and few years ago, we could not buy pilot stuff
for a year instead of going to Ottawa!

So. In Quebec, there is only 1 company who make the landscape stuff and this
is Fafard. They where enough "big" to print their bags in French and
English, just for the Quebec. But they don't sell anything. Baseball is not
enough popular here to have nice clean and perfect grass all over the
Quebec. The only, maybe, 20 real perfect grass diamonds, the owner buy their
product directly to US.

This is why, in the Bonsai context, it is expensive to grow big bonsai in
Quebec, and I hate paying too much for nothing! Let say like this! :-))))

Thank you for your help,

Michel

Old 01-10-2005, 02:06 AM
Roger Snipes

Michel,

You don't need to build a heated greenhouse to safely winter your trees in a
simulated zone 6 or 7 temperature. A cold frame will do the job nicely with
no added heat. Take a look at this article on Reiner Goebel's website:
http://rgbonsai.com/wintering.htm
He uses a cold frame in Toronto, which is Zone 5 I believe. I use a similar
cold frame here in Spokane, Washington, also Zone 5. The coldest it ever
gets in my cold frame is about +25 degrees F. That is way warmer than the
average maximum low for zone 6 or 7 (-10 degrees F for zone 6 and 0 degrees
for zone 7). Once built the cold frame costs nothing to operate, the heat
from the earth keeps the temperatures moderated.

Regards,
Roger Snipes
Spokane, WA. Zone 5-ish