Old 30-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message

The intake sits towards the back of my "clarifier". 2" pipe with a
screen.

** I gave up on screens due to clogging not only with those tiny pond snails
but with plant debris and algae. My pumps didn't clog - the prefilters were
clogging and slowing the flow of water. I'm sure that wasn't good for the
pumps.

I could probably put a mesh on that would allow the smaller
snails which would pass through the pump while blocking the larger ones,
but I'm just not that concerned. Foam is not an option. I would have to
clean it every 4 hours!

** I hear you. That's why we use the plant baskets put together like clam
shells with a hole for the hose and electric cord to exit. The more
powerful pumps will run all summer without a problem. The smaller ones that
don't have sealed shafts will sometimes need the heavy slime coat removed
from the impeller well and impeller shaft.
--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b