Old 30-09-2005, 10:55 PM
Martha Fifield

Default [IBC] Soiless Mixes

Excuse my ignorance but I am new to bonsai and I do not understand why soil-less mixes are used in the first place. I thought plants needed soil and organic matter. If it is not too much trouble, can someone explain why soiless mixes are used and let me know if there are exceptions? I live in South Florida where it is usually quite hot . I have to water many of my plants daily and some even need watering more than once a day. What mix should I be using then? So far, I have been using the Miracle Grow potting soil with success. I add a liitle Turface to it at times if drainage seems to be an issue but not much. I did purchase some pumice stones as well to add a little of this to the mix since I hear it causes roots to divide and helps develop them better.

Thanks and God bless!
Martha
Zone 10

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++