Old 30-09-2005, 11:10 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 9/30/2005 5:55:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Excuse my ignorance but I am new to bonsai and I do not understand why
soil-less mixes are used in the first place. I thought plants needed soil and
organic matter. If it is not too much trouble, can someone explain why soiless
mixes are used and let me know if there are exceptions? I live in South
Florida where it is usually quite hot . I have to water many of my plants daily and
some even need watering more than once a day. What mix should I be using
then? So far, I have been using the Miracle Grow potting soil with success. I
add a liitle Turface to it at times if drainage seems to be an issue but not
much. I did purchase some pumice stones as well to add a little of this to the
mix since I hear it causes roots to divide and helps develop them better.

Soiless mixes are used because
They drain better and wet roots cause more plant death than anything else.
They are generally sterile and don't support soil disease as much

Plants need NPK and traace elements which can be supplied by chemical
fertilizers, have you ever seen Disney Epcot Land Pavillion?

A proper balance of turface, pumice and composted pine bark will hold
moisture for a day in my yard on the space coast

The composted pine bark is organic, just not "soil."

Your mix should depend upon your species. Some of the Ficus and other
tropicals do fine in a heavy mix like the Miracle Grow

Billy on the Florida Space Coast (but visiting my daughter in Sunrise)

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++