Old 01-10-2005, 02:06 AM
Roger Snipes

Michel,

You don't need to build a heated greenhouse to safely winter your trees in a
simulated zone 6 or 7 temperature. A cold frame will do the job nicely with
no added heat. Take a look at this article on Reiner Goebel's website:
http://rgbonsai.com/wintering.htm
He uses a cold frame in Toronto, which is Zone 5 I believe. I use a similar
cold frame here in Spokane, Washington, also Zone 5. The coldest it ever
gets in my cold frame is about +25 degrees F. That is way warmer than the
average maximum low for zone 6 or 7 (-10 degrees F for zone 6 and 0 degrees
for zone 7). Once built the cold frame costs nothing to operate, the heat
from the earth keeps the temperatures moderated.

Regards,
Roger Snipes
Spokane, WA. Zone 5-ish