Old 01-10-2005, 08:26 AM
Garry Williams

On 30 Sep 2005 08:15:12 -0400, Tom Line wrote:

How about keeping the tree prunned and the leaves raked and rake out the
soil around the roses and put a bag of fresh in each season? All trees

Futile at best. The tree roots are what do the real damage, both by
invading the bed and sucking up nutrients and moisture, and by, in the
case of some species, exuding toxins.

produce something, usually in decaying leaves, that discourages growth and
germination of plants around them. I believe most often this effect is
through acid ph of the decaying process more than anything else. Can you

If that were all it were, a little lime every year would do the trick,
but the problem runs deeper than that.

Check with the American Rose Society (ars.org) to find a Consulting
Rosarian in your area, or with your local Agricultural Extension
Agency to get real advice for one's specific area.

Garry

post an aerial photo of your house? Something in Google earth perhaps so
we can get an idea?

Barry wrote:
: I've been trying to grow rose for several years, without too much success.
: They do produce some roses, but the plants seem to be stunted.
: Recently I read that Walnut trees produce a toxin that hurts the growth of
: many plants.
: My rose garden is just beyond the driip line of a Carparthian Walnut tree.
: I'm wondering if that is the reason I haven't done to well growing roses.
: Can anyone tell me if roses are one of the plants that are affected by the
: toxin?
:
: