Old 01-10-2005, 11:40 AM
Kevin Nikolai Payne

Thanks for the suggestions, Jim. You've been very
helpful both here and on the website...sort of like
helping young trees (relatively speaking) become
bonsai!

--- Jim Lewis wrote:
I'm afraid that only time and experience will teach
you this.

I was afraid that would be the basic answer. How many
times I've heard that in my life endeavours! I also
paint religious ikons (Russian Orthodox here--and you
think bonsai people argue about rules and traditions
for the art!!!), sing, and write. Been told "you'll
learn as you get more experience" a LOT! Still not
used to it at 45.

I just hate the "learning more from failures" thing. I
like these trees, won't like having one or more expire
though I know that goes with the territory.

I have two junipers (a Sargents @ 8 yrs and a
procumbens nana @ 5 yrs),

FAST draining soil. 100% Turface (or clone) works
well. Fertilize with balanced fertilizer with
micronutrients. Keep soil _just_ moist.

Wow, JUST Turface (or similar product)? I'll have to
get some and try it. Will it hurt the Sargent's to
repot in the next few weeks? Even though the pot its
in is large, it appears to be almost rootbound.

I live smack on the dotted line between USDA Zone
5a and 5b.

The Carmona and TX ebony will need winter
protection, but I'm sure you know that.

They've already moved indoors since we've had a couple
of nights drop well below 50 already.

BTW, I have a bag of bonsai soil as well as some
coarse sand and some red lava stone. What else do
I need to add to my soil resources?

Turface, Profile, Terra Green or Mule Mix (they're
all the same stuff). A bark mulch of some sort.

I wouldn't grow either the juniper or the TX ebony
in typical "bonsai soil," or if you do keep a very
close eye on moisture.

Many thanks again, Jim. You've given me some very
helpful direction.

Kevin Payne
Quincy, IL

http://mail.yahoo.com

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++