Old 01-10-2005, 11:24 AM
chris French

In message , Pedro Popadopolous
writes
Hi,

I have a large yew tree in my garden. A neighbour told me it is protected.
How can I find out?

From your local council. Trees can be covered by a tree protection order
(TPO) which applies to specific trees, or they also have protections by
being in a Conservation Area.

If it is what can I do to it?

Anything from cut it down to nothing at all, depending on what the
council official agrees to.

I would like to trim all
branches below 6ft off so I can walk comfortably unfer it (Its next to the
side of my garage)

If the council confirm the tree is protected the you need to apply to
the council for permission to carry out the work (normally pert of the
planning dept.). I imagine that the work you suggest would be ok. It is
an offence to do it without permission.

some links:

http://www.huntsdc.gov.uk/Environmen...conservation/T
ree+Preservation.htm