Old 01-10-2005, 12:48 AM
Pedro Popadopolous

Default Protected Trees

Hi,

I have a large yew tree in my garden. A neighbour told me it is protected.
How can I find out? If it is what can I do to it? I would like to trim all
branches below 6ft off so I can walk comfortably unfer it (Its next to the
side of my garage)

Any help appreciated

:-)

Old 01-10-2005, 11:10 AM
Broadback

Pedro Popadopolous wrote:
Hi,

I have a large yew tree in my garden. A neighbour told me it is protected.
How can I find out? If it is what can I do to it? I would like to trim all
branches below 6ft off so I can walk comfortably unfer it (Its next to the
side of my garage)

Any help appreciated

:-)

Your local council will advise you if the tree is protected. If not you
can do as you wish. If it is you have to apply to them for any work
carried out on the tree (except small branches prunable with hand
secatures) or indeed beneath the canopy. They may well allow you to
remove branches to a certain level, though may insist that a qualified
aborculturalist carries out the work. The best of luck.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:24 AM
chris French

In message , Pedro Popadopolous
writes
Hi,

I have a large yew tree in my garden. A neighbour told me it is protected.
How can I find out?

From your local council. Trees can be covered by a tree protection order
(TPO) which applies to specific trees, or they also have protections by
being in a Conservation Area.

If it is what can I do to it?

Anything from cut it down to nothing at all, depending on what the
council official agrees to.

I would like to trim all
branches below 6ft off so I can walk comfortably unfer it (Its next to the
side of my garage)

If the council confirm the tree is protected the you need to apply to
the council for permission to carry out the work (normally pert of the
planning dept.). I imagine that the work you suggest would be ok. It is
an offence to do it without permission.

some links:

http://www.huntsdc.gov.uk/Environmen...conservation/T
ree+Preservation.htm

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/grou...uments/page/od
pm_urbpol_607980.pdf

--
Chris French

Old 01-10-2005, 11:24 AM
Harold Walker

"Broadback" wrote in message
Pedro Popadopolous wrote:
Hi,

I have a large yew tree in my garden. A neighbour told me it is
protected. How can I find out? If it is what can I do to it? I would like
to trim all branches below 6ft off so I can walk comfortably unfer it
(Its next to the side of my garage)

I was once told that the punishment for disobeying an order was far more
severe than unkowningly violating the 'rules and regulations'....so, in the
Fleet Air Arm, I never asked before doing and got what I wanted...H

Old 01-10-2005, 11:34 AM
Broadback

Harold Walker wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message

Pedro Popadopolous wrote:

Hi,

I have a large yew tree in my garden. A neighbour told me it is
protected. How can I find out? If it is what can I do to it? I would like
to trim all branches below 6ft off so I can walk comfortably unfer it
(Its next to the side of my garage)

I was once told that the punishment for disobeying an order was far more
severe than unkowningly violating the 'rules and regulations'....so, in the
Fleet Air Arm, I never asked before doing and got what I wanted...H

I think you will find that they operate on the principle of "ignorance
of law is no defence". Their fines (even imprisonment, though unlikely)
can be severe.

Will a tree become 'protected' if/when it grows large? [email protected] United Kingdom 17 09-05-2008 02:09 PM
protected fish story UK kathy Ponds 1 04-03-2005 03:36 AM
protected fish story UK kathy Ponds 0 04-03-2005 01:30 AM
Slugs to be protected BAC United Kingdom 4 15-07-2004 06:14 PM