Old 03-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Martin

Default Aquaphobic potting mix in training pots

Greetings all,

The soil in my training pots seem to repel water instead of absorb it. I'm
using commercial grade 'standard' potting mix with added coarse river sand
(about 10-15%). Each time I water, the water either wells around the top
without being absorbed by the soil, or it just seems to run down the insides
of the pot. When the water _does_ seem to be absorbed, it only penertrates
about 5mm down, leaving the rest dry. Additionally, a dry 'crust' of about
5-10mm tends to form on some of the newly repotted plants.
I've tried soaking the pots in buckets of water for 30mins or so, which
_seems_ to help.
I was wondering if perhaps this is a water quality issue (high calcium
content?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Martin

Second month of spring here in South Eastern Australia.
Average temps - 20 deg C - 68 deg F
Pots in full sun.