Old 03-10-2005, 03:28 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "capstan" contains these words:

No, definitely not shaggy ink-caps......wish they were. I have a secret
patch of these which I raid every year from an area about a mile from here
......mmmmm yummy !
BTW its worth mentioning that the SMOOTH or common ink-cap should be used
with great care. Whilst not poisonous it can cause awful symptoms if used
when alcohol has been imbibed. Nausea, palpitations, stomach cramps,
vomiting etc can be expected. Apparently, it was used years ago to cure
alcoholics, and by monks to produce a fine ink.

It still is - rather - a manufactured copy of the active alkaloid is given.

You can suffer the symptoms (nausea usually, not much more than that) if
you've taken alcohol up to three days previously, and for quite a long
time afterwards.

The active 'ingredient' is almost insoluble in water, so the kidneys
take a long time removing it. But alcohol, which it will dissolve in, is
miscible with water...

If you want a tentative ID, find someone with a digital camera (if you
haven't got one) and post the pics to a website - or get someone to post
them for you, if you haven't got one.

Best to crosspost the URL to alt.nature.mushrooms too.

--
Rusty