Old 03-10-2005, 10:27 AM
capstan

Default Lawn Toadstools.

Woke up this morning to find to find large patches of the lawn packed with
hundreds of small toadstools, about 2" tall.
My neighbour also has even larger areas of infestation on her lawns. (Not
fairy rings)
Should I gather and destroy, or treat them with something, or ignore ?

Advice would be nice.

capstan.

Old 03-10-2005, 11:21 AM
adm

"capstan" wrote in message
Woke up this morning to find to find large patches of the lawn packed with
hundreds of small toadstools, about 2" tall.
My neighbour also has even larger areas of infestation on her lawns. (Not
fairy rings)
Should I gather and destroy, or treat them with something, or ignore ?

Advice would be nice.

On the same subject, I have several small clumps of various mushrooms that
pop up on my lawn after a good rain. I'd like to get rid of them as well.
How does one go about doing this without killing the lawn ? I understand
that the mushrooms themselves are really just the fruit of the underlying
mycelium (?), so how does one go about killing that off ?

Old 03-10-2005, 11:33 AM
Tim Challenger

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 11:21:19 +0100, adm wrote:

"capstan" wrote in message
Woke up this morning to find to find large patches of the lawn packed with
hundreds of small toadstools, about 2" tall.
My neighbour also has even larger areas of infestation on her lawns. (Not
fairy rings)
Should I gather and destroy, or treat them with something, or ignore ?

Advice would be nice.

On the same subject, I have several small clumps of various mushrooms that
pop up on my lawn after a good rain. I'd like to get rid of them as well.
How does one go about doing this without killing the lawn ? I understand
that the mushrooms themselves are really just the fruit of the underlying
mycelium (?), so how does one go about killing that off ?

If they're shaggy ink-caps you can eat them.
--
Tim C.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:17 PM
capstan

news:1128335439.72765af0f7f7e9fac9c0b4cff7e09d88@t eranews...

"capstan" wrote in message
[...]

No, definitely not shaggy ink-caps......wish they were. I have a secret
patch of these which I raid every year from an area about a mile from here
......mmmmm yummy !
BTW its worth mentioning that the SMOOTH or common ink-cap should be used
with great care. Whilst not poisonous it can cause awful symptoms if used
when alcohol has been imbibed. Nausea, palpitations, stomach cramps,
vomiting etc can be expected. Apparently, it was used years ago to cure
alcoholics, and by monks to produce a fine ink.

capstan

Old 03-10-2005, 03:28 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "capstan" contains these words:

No, definitely not shaggy ink-caps......wish they were. I have a secret
patch of these which I raid every year from an area about a mile from here
......mmmmm yummy !
BTW its worth mentioning that the SMOOTH or common ink-cap should be used
with great care. Whilst not poisonous it can cause awful symptoms if used
when alcohol has been imbibed. Nausea, palpitations, stomach cramps,
vomiting etc can be expected. Apparently, it was used years ago to cure
alcoholics, and by monks to produce a fine ink.

It still is - rather - a manufactured copy of the active alkaloid is given.

You can suffer the symptoms (nausea usually, not much more than that) if
you've taken alcohol up to three days previously, and for quite a long
time afterwards.

The active 'ingredient' is almost insoluble in water, so the kidneys
take a long time removing it. But alcohol, which it will dissolve in, is
miscible with water...

If you want a tentative ID, find someone with a digital camera (if you
haven't got one) and post the pics to a website - or get someone to post
them for you, if you haven't got one.

Best to crosspost the URL to alt.nature.mushrooms too.

--
Rusty

Old 03-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Brian

"capstan" wrote in message
Woke up this morning to find to find large patches of the lawn packed with
hundreds of small toadstools, about 2" tall.
My neighbour also has even larger areas of infestation on her lawns. (Not
fairy rings)
Should I gather and destroy, or treat them with something, or ignore ?

Advice would be nice.

capstan.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Ignore them. They are feeding off and underground source~ such as an
old root. They might come back again next year but are very ephemeral. I
just kick them off or mow over them. I had giant puffballs, recently, and
find all others disappointing in comparison.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 04-10-2005, 12:48 AM
Jupiter

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 19:06:49 +0100, "Brian" ---
'flayb' to respond wrote:

"capstan" wrote in message
Woke up this morning to find to find large patches of the lawn packed with
hundreds of small toadstools, about 2" tall.
My neighbour also has even larger areas of infestation on her lawns. (Not
fairy rings)
Should I gather and destroy, or treat them with something, or ignore ?

Advice would be nice.

capstan.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Ignore them. They are feeding off and underground source~ such as an
old root. They might come back again next year but are very ephemeral. I
just kick them off or mow over them. I had giant puffballs, recently, and
find all others disappointing in comparison.
Best Wishes Brian.

Absolutely. Just another source of autumnal interest. If not edible
to humans (in which case pick and eat, as I trust you did with your
giant puffballs), other animals and insects will devour them, failing
which, as soon as the ground dries out they will just disappear, ready
to pop up again overnight in the right conditions.

Old 04-10-2005, 09:53 AM
nambucca

"capstan" wrote in message
Woke up this morning to find to find large patches of the lawn packed with
hundreds of small toadstools, about 2" tall.
My neighbour also has even larger areas of infestation on her lawns. (Not
fairy rings)
Should I gather and destroy, or treat them with something, or ignore ?

Advice would be nice.

capstan.

I would still suspect its actually fairy ring ........they do not always
form nice rings ......the darn things are wrecking my lawn and nothing seems
to stop them
I have dug the area out .....replaced with clean soil but back they come

The stupid EU banned all the chemicals which used to be available

Old 04-10-2005, 11:09 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Jupiter contains these words:

Absolutely. Just another source of autumnal interest. If not edible
to humans (in which case pick and eat, as I trust you did with your
giant puffballs), other animals and insects will devour them, failing
which, as soon as the ground dries out they will just disappear, ready
to pop up again overnight in the right conditions.

Ahem! ///If not edible to humans (in which case pick and eat, ///

I think you might like to amend that...

--
Rusty
Old 04-10-2005, 07:36 PM
Brian

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from Jupiter contains these words:

Absolutely. Just another source of autumnal interest. If not edible
to humans (in which case pick and eat, as I trust you did with your
giant puffballs),.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Certainly ate them. Massive steaks fried to a golden surface
each side. Quite the best of all fungi IMO~ and I have tried most. They
were not from the lawn, but near some disused piggeries. A dozen or more
each year!!
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 05-10-2005, 07:35 AM
Jupiter

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 11:09:16 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from Jupiter contains these words:

Absolutely. Just another source of autumnal interest. If not edible
to humans (in which case pick and eat, as I trust you did with your
giant puffballs), other animals and insects will devour them, failing
which, as soon as the ground dries out they will just disappear, ready
to pop up again overnight in the right conditions.

Ahem! ///If not edible to humans (in which case pick and eat, ///

I think you might like to amend that...

Whoops! Take that part out....