Old 03-10-2005, 03:57 PM
Mike Lyle

jks wrote:
"George" wrote in message
k...
Hi

I am looking for some advice.

We have some silver birch trees growing on some waste ground at

the
rear of our garden, they have now grown to such a height that they
are spoiling our view.

I don't want to cut them down however I would prefer that they
didn't get any bigger, in fact I would prefer them to be 6'to
10'smaller!!

Question is, if I go up with a ladder and just cut off the top

could
this kill the tree? Will this stunt its growth? Is this the right
time of the year?

George

I've lopped mine a few times over the years and I've lopped about

15
feet off recently with no problems. One of them now has several
main trunks.

Saturday's _Guardian_ had a piece about coppicing birches. I don't
know what the upper age limit is, as I never really thought of them
as coppicing material, though I've done it to established woolly
birches without killing them.

--
Mike.