Old 02-10-2005, 11:31 AM
George

Default Silver Birch trees

Hi

I am looking for some advice.

We have some silver birch trees growing on some waste ground at the rear of
our garden, they have now grown to such a height that they are spoiling our
view.

I don't want to cut them down however I would prefer that they didn't get
any bigger, in fact I would prefer them to be 6'to 10'smaller!!

Question is, if I go up with a ladder and just cut off the top could this
kill the tree? Will this stunt its growth? Is this the right time of the
year?

Any advice or comments welcome

An extremely novice gardener

George

Old 02-10-2005, 12:03 PM
Rupert

"George" wrote in message
k...
Hi

I am looking for some advice.

We have some silver birch trees growing on some waste ground at the rear
of
our garden, they have now grown to such a height that they are spoiling
our
view.

I don't want to cut them down however I would prefer that they didn't get
any bigger, in fact I would prefer them to be 6'to 10'smaller!!

Question is, if I go up with a ladder and just cut off the top could this
kill the tree? Will this stunt its growth? Is this the right time of the
year?

Any advice or comments welcome

An extremely novice gardener

George

Suggest you get permission to prune the trees from both the owners and
probably your local council.
You need a qualified tree surgeon who will get the desired effect. Do not
attempt this job yourself.

Old 02-10-2005, 01:13 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

Suggest you get permission to prune the trees from both the owners and
probably your local council.
You need a qualified tree surgeon who will get the desired effect. Do not
attempt this job yourself.

IRIT as at the back of his garden, not behind it. We shall have to await
clarification.

--
Rusty
Old 02-10-2005, 05:23 PM
George

"George" wrote in message
k...
Hi

I am looking for some advice.

We have some silver birch trees growing on some waste ground at the rear
of
our garden, they have now grown to such a height that they are spoiling
our
view.

I don't want to cut them down however I would prefer that they didn't get
any bigger, in fact I would prefer them to be 6'to 10'smaller!!

Question is, if I go up with a ladder and just cut off the top could this
kill the tree? Will this stunt its growth? Is this the right time of the
year?

Any advice or comments welcome

An extremely novice gardener

George

Thanks for the advice.

I do know who owns the ground and I don't think they will bother, however I
don't want to spend money on someone else's trees nevertheless they are
starting to become a nuisance

I was hoping to furtively just lop a bit of the top but didn't want to kill
them.

I suppose if I go and ask them to do something about the trees they also
will not want to spend money and I will have alerted them to my problem and
they would probably notice if thier trees suddenly become 10'shorter.

Another one of life's dilemmas!!!! Ho Hum.

George

Old 02-10-2005, 07:11 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
George wrote:

We have some silver birch trees growing on some waste ground at the rear of
our garden, they have now grown to such a height that they are spoiling our
view.

I don't want to cut them down however I would prefer that they didn't get
any bigger, in fact I would prefer them to be 6'to 10'smaller!!

Question is, if I go up with a ladder and just cut off the top could this
kill the tree? Will this stunt its growth? Is this the right time of the
year?

This is a FAQ. Birch trees do not respond well to being cut back
hard, sometimes get fungal infections, and always look tatty
afterwards. They are FAR too commonly planted in the south, are
not long-lived in rich, damp soil and the best thing to do is to
get rid of them and plant something more appropriate.

Or live with them - they are excellent trees in the right place,
and one of the most beautiful of native trees.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 03-10-2005, 03:06 PM
jks

"George" wrote in message
k...
Hi

I am looking for some advice.

We have some silver birch trees growing on some waste ground at the rear

of
our garden, they have now grown to such a height that they are spoiling

our
view.

I don't want to cut them down however I would prefer that they didn't get
any bigger, in fact I would prefer them to be 6'to 10'smaller!!

Question is, if I go up with a ladder and just cut off the top could this
kill the tree? Will this stunt its growth? Is this the right time of the
year?

George

I've lopped mine a few times over the years and I've lopped about 15 feet
off recently with no problems. One of them now has several main trunks.

jks

Old 03-10-2005, 03:57 PM
Mike Lyle

jks wrote:
"George" wrote in message
[...]

Saturday's _Guardian_ had a piece about coppicing birches. I don't
know what the upper age limit is, as I never really thought of them
as coppicing material, though I've done it to established woolly
birches without killing them.

--
Mike.

Old 03-10-2005, 09:52 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Saturday's _Guardian_ had a piece about coppicing birches. I don't
know what the upper age limit is, as I never really thought of them
as coppicing material, though I've done it to established woolly
birches without killing them.

Believe nothing the Grauniad tells you:

(Stolen wholesale from Ethel the Frog in The Shed...)

--------======== QUOTE ========--------

page 79 of the Weekend magazine:

"Computers [like all electrical equipment] emit electromagnetic
fields, which have been linked with insomnia, anxiety and general ill
health"...

Improbable? Wait, there's more.

"Unplugging your computer when not in use [rather than just switching
it off] makes a huge difference..."

It's a conspiracy to make me look intelligent, I tell you.

--------======== DEQUOTE ========--------

--
Rusty
Old 03-10-2005, 10:20 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains

these
words:

[...]

Yes, I enjoyed that article, too. I considered sending the whole
piece to Ben Goldacre of their own "Bad Science" column. You surely
didn't miss the part where it said spider plants soak up
electro-magnetic field? And in what way is junk food meant to deplete
the gut bacteria? I wish poor Franz were here to enjoy it.

--
Mike.

Old 03-10-2005, 11:30 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

Believe nothing the Grauniad tells you:

(Stolen wholesale from Ethel the Frog in The Shed...)

--------======== QUOTE ========--------

page 79 of the Weekend magazine:

"Computers [like all electrical equipment] emit electromagnetic
fields, which have been linked with insomnia, anxiety and general ill
health"...

Improbable? Wait, there's more.

"Unplugging your computer when not in use [rather than just switching
it off] makes a huge difference..."

It's a conspiracy to make me look intelligent, I tell you.

--------======== DEQUOTE ========--------

Personally, I recommend unplugging the computer while in use and
pouring yourself a beer. The Gnurdian can then be used to start
a barbeque.

You know it makes sense.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 04-10-2005, 01:27 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Yes, I enjoyed that article, too. I considered sending the whole
piece to Ben Goldacre of their own "Bad Science" column. You surely
didn't miss the part where it said spider plants soak up
electro-magnetic field? And in what way is junk food meant to deplete
the gut bacteria? I wish poor Franz were here to enjoy it.

I don't take the Grauniad. The above was posted in the Shed by someone
else. (As acknowledged.)

--
Rusty
Old 05-10-2005, 08:03 AM
George

"George" wrote in message
k...
Hi

I am looking for some advice.

We have some silver birch trees growing on some waste ground at the rear
of
our garden, they have now grown to such a height that they are spoiling
our
view.

I don't want to cut them down however I would prefer that they didn't get
any bigger, in fact I would prefer them to be 6'to 10'smaller!!

Question is, if I go up with a ladder and just cut off the top could this
kill the tree? Will this stunt its growth? Is this the right time of the
year?

Any advice or comments welcome

An extremely novice gardener

George

Just a quick thanks for all your help......... George