Old 04-10-2005, 04:54 AM
MartyWeiser

Vinny,

I use mostly 1/8" (3 mm) to 1/3" (8 mm) particles for most of my trees. I
also have a screen at 1/4" (6 mm) and the smaller trees get more of the 3 -
6 mm while the larger ones get more of the 6 - 8 mm. For the really large
trees and bottoms of the larger pots (to just cover the drainage holes) I
also screen at 1/2" (12 mm). Finally, I save the 1/16" (1.5 mm) to 1/8" for
use to root cuttings, soil topping for shows, and as part of the mix for
very small (handful sized) pots.

You can buy special screens, but I buy hardware cloth and make my own.
Window screen (1/16"), 1/8", 1/4", and 1/2" are fairly easy to find at
decent hardware stores and even most of the big box home improvement stores.
The best source I have found for 1/3" is McMaster-Carr (currently page 340)
at http://www.mcmaster.com/. The openings in wire screen are square and a 4
x 4 screen (per inch) has gaps between the wires of 0.203" to 0.215"
depending upon the wire gauge so the maximum size of a spherical particle
that will fit through this is less than 1/4". However, our soil components
not spherical I just go by the nominal size.

Marty