Old 16-01-2003, 05:28 AM
Alan Gould

Default Lemon Thyme Quest

In article , Paul
England writes
Thanks Alan, Joan, Chris and Helen for the info. I have just taken over a
half share in an allotment, which has not been used for 10 years - loadsa
work plus loadsa extra space - I can indulge in several balms and thymes
plus a few extra herbs.
I don't know why Chiltern's didn't cross-refer 1244j from the herbs section
to the general section of their catalogue is a mystery ? Some people will
only look in herbs and veg and nowhere else.

This is an interesting point. Chilterns have six varieties of Thymus in
their general section including a marjoram and a hyssop, but 1244j is
the only one which is not given a 'popular' name as well as its Latin
one. They describe it as an 'unusual culinary herb' .... 'with a strong
and delicious scent of oranges'.

In the Chilterns herbs section only Thymus vulgaris (Common Thyme) is
offered. Halcyon seeds call the same plant Orange Thyme. Bringsty herbs
also call it Orange Thyme but they offer 36 varieties of Thmye including
Lemon, Lemon Curd, Lemon variegated, Golden Lemon and Golden King.
Deni Bown writing in the RHS Enc. of Herbs gives T.x citriodorous as
Lemon Thyme 'with a strong lemon scent'. Five varieties of it are listed
but T.x c. fragrantissimus is not mentioned.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.