Old 07-10-2005, 01:56 PM

Default [IBC] Growing Light

In a message dated 10/7/05 12:01:50 AM, Steven writes:
Is there any problem with leaving a growing light on 24-7 with my Ficus?

Yes, there is. There are a few plants, such as vegetable species, where the
seedlings are grown for an initial period of 24 hour lights for rapid
commercial development. All other plants require a dark period for normal growth. There
are certain hormones which change during night & day. Without this the plants
suffer from sleep deprivation as surely as a person trying to stay up too
long.
I grow both tropical bonsai and orchids under fluorescent lights in the
winter. I found the optimum daylength is 18 hours. For bonsai alone you could try
19 hours. Grewia will bloom like crazy, but Serissa won't.
But what do you mean by growing light? If you are trying to use some kind of
incandescent lamp, forget it. Also, I have no experience with other figs, but
F. benjamina cultivars can get along without artificial light for the winter,
as long as they have a sunny windowsill & cool nights. They won't grow much,
but otherwise are OK.
Iris

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++