Old 07-10-2005, 01:56 PM

Default [IBC] Growing Light

In a message dated 10/7/05 12:01:50 AM, Steven writes:
Is there any problem with leaving a growing light on 24-7 with my Ficus?

Yes, there is. There are a few plants, such as vegetable species, where the
seedlings are grown for an initial period of 24 hour lights for rapid
commercial development. All other plants require a dark period for normal growth. There
are certain hormones which change during night & day. Without this the plants
suffer from sleep deprivation as surely as a person trying to stay up too
long.
I grow both tropical bonsai and orchids under fluorescent lights in the
winter. I found the optimum daylength is 18 hours. For bonsai alone you could try
19 hours. Grewia will bloom like crazy, but Serissa won't.
But what do you mean by growing light? If you are trying to use some kind of
incandescent lamp, forget it. Also, I have no experience with other figs, but
F. benjamina cultivars can get along without artificial light for the winter,
as long as they have a sunny windowsill & cool nights. They won't grow much,
but otherwise are OK.
Iris

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 07-10-2005, 03:36 PM
Steven Peterson

Hi Iris,

Thanks for your response. I actually had one person respond with a mere "yes!" to my question (Is there any problem with leaving a growing light on 24-7 with my Ficus?)

I appreciate the way you gave a possible theoretical explanation for why my ficus needs a dark period and especially the way you discussed your personal experience with varying amount of light time. I wish more participants would treat this list as a discussion and not a roll call vote.

You asked:
But what do you mean by growing light? If you are trying to use some kind of
incandescent lamp, forget it.

I'm using 2 - 40w flourescent bulbs--not specially marketed growing lights. I have heard that those often aren't bright enough. Will these work? Or would you (or anyone) recommend specially made bulbs?

Regards,
Steve
Philadelphia, Pa
zone 5

Old 07-10-2005, 04:04 PM
Carl Rosner

Steve:
I am in Zone 6/7 and have been using regular fluorescents for the last 6 or 7 years. My trees are quite hardy and thriving indoors. I will suggest something I have not read, and that is you should change your lights once a year, since they do seem to loose light intensity. Every New Years, I change all my lights. I have four eight foot and four four foot fluorecents. I hope this helps!

Carl

Steven Peterson wrote:
[...]

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7

www.carlrosner.com
http://www.yessy.com/arteacher3725
http://rosner.becanz.net

Old 07-10-2005, 04:12 PM
William Valavanis

Steve, yes, that' a good idea to change the bulbs every year. Even
though the lights may "shine" the quality of light decreases. The
human eye cannot tell this, but the plants know it.

Also, the center section of the long tube has the best light for
plants. The quality decreases as you go to the two ends.

So a few tips for using fluorescent lights:

Change bulbs once a year.
Position the plants towards the center of the bulbs.
Place the plants as close as possible to the lights, but not touching.
Keep the lights on for approximately 18 hours a day, generally. In
late winter to early spring you may want to increase the light
duration a little.
Use Cool White bulbs if you want vegetative growth.
Use a "plant light" bulb if you want flowers/fruit.

Good luck!

Bill Valavanis