Old 08-10-2005, 02:45 PM
Phil L

Phil L wrote:
:: Tom wrote:
:::: Having recently moved to a new (old) house if you see what I mean, I
:::: need to relocate the 8X6ft glasshouse (left by the previous owner) to
:::: another part of the garden.
::::
:::: I've just finished laying the concrete base and I intend removing the
:::: glass and dismantling the alu frame which looks in a reasonable
:::: condition. However I would like to replace the galvanised W clips and S
:::: clips with new SS ones and I have already located a source of supply
:::: for these,
:::: however, the existing rubber seals which fitted between the glass and
:::: the alu frame are perished and I would like to replace them.
::::
:::: I would like to replace them with an U section flex material which
:::: could be slotted over the glass edges and mitred with a sharp knife on
:::: the corners prior to fitting the glass in the frame, I believe this is
:::: a better way of cushioning the glass against slight wind movement and
:::: would also spread the point load to which the glass edges are subjected
:::: to by the W clips. The internal width of the slot should be 3mm, the
:::: legs to be approx 10mm, the material should be resistant to UV.
:::: Any ideas as to where I can obtain such a product? I will need approx
:::: 200 ft of it.
::::
:::: Regards
:::: Tom
::
:: Go to a double glazing / window manufacturer, they use masses of it in
:: new frames and will only charge you a few quid....they do half a dozen
:: different profiles too.
::
:: Be aware that it's not adhesive though, it's just black rubber, and the
:: glass may need to be installed first and then the rubber strip pushed
:: into the joint afterwards - you can get the adhesive strip and it works
:: perfectly well and is resistant to UV etc, but this is dearer than the
:: rubber seal....a drawback to the adhesive strip is that it's a pain (no
:: pun intended) to get the glass out again as the sticky surface is *very*
:: strong.
::
:: HTH

Have a look here to see what I mean, use the dropdown list to find 'Glazing
Tapes'

http://www.wintun.co.uk/

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.