Old 08-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Andrew Ostrander

I was served these once as part of dessert on a luxury cruise ship. They
were fine.

(When the waiter explained what they were, he was astonished that I knew
what he was talking about, and had even grown them. Apparently many people
asked about them, but no one else had heard of them.)

wrote in message
I have some Chinese Lanterns that I started from seed this year. I
noticed that after the "lantern" part dries up & falls away, there
appears to be a small tomato-like fruit inside. Are these edible
(either for me or the birds)? Are they related to the tomato family?
The orange lanterns remind me a bit of tomatillos. Thanks

Jacqueline