Old 08-10-2005, 01:47 PM

Default Chinese Lanterns

I have some Chinese Lanterns that I started from seed this year. I
noticed that after the "lantern" part dries up & falls away, there
appears to be a small tomato-like fruit inside. Are these edible
(either for me or the birds)? Are they related to the tomato family?
The orange lanterns remind me a bit of tomatillos. Thanks

Jacqueline
Old 08-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Andrew Ostrander

I was served these once as part of dessert on a luxury cruise ship. They
were fine.

(When the waiter explained what they were, he was astonished that I knew
what he was talking about, and had even grown them. Apparently many people
asked about them, but no one else had heard of them.)

Old 08-10-2005, 05:56 PM
simy1

they are edible but have very little flavor. supermarket cherry
tomatoes in february best describes their flavor. I eat lots of wild
things but even i can not get worked up about them. I have several
hundred plants along a fencerow and I do not touch them.

Old 08-10-2005, 06:06 PM
Emery Davis

]
] (When the waiter explained what they were, he was astonished that I knew
] what he was talking about, and had even grown them. Apparently many people
] asked about them, but no one else had heard of them.)
]

In Europe these are readily available in good outdoor markets, in season.
They're very expensive, though. I've been served them a few times in
restaurants and thought them good, and always wondered why mine
are bitter. (They're attractive but quite invasive, so be careful! I had
a real plague of them in the vegetable garden for awhile.)

It turns out there are (at least) two varieties, the truly edible ones
have a yellow, not orange lantern. A friend planted them this year,
they are an annual (or tender in EU zone 8) and she hasn't yet
harvested them. Anyway the other, perennial kind appears not to
be poison, as I am still around to report.

Sorry don't recall the true names of the varieties.

-E

] ...

Old 08-10-2005, 06:14 PM
paghat

In article . com, "simy1"
wrote:

they are edible but have very little flavor. supermarket cherry
tomatoes in february best describes their flavor. I eat lots of wild
things but even i can not get worked up about them. I have several
hundred plants along a fencerow and I do not touch them.

If you were to fry them with fresh ground pepper, sweet pepper, garlic, &
onions, then add thinly sliced potatoes & continue frying, I bet they'd be
pretty good. Or any fried green tomato recipe. Worked with purple
passionflower maypops.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 08-10-2005, 07:47 PM
simy1

or maybe it is just a matter of getting the flavorful varieties. Those
grown for their looks, like mine, have bright orange lanterns.