Old 08-10-2005, 05:27 PM
Phil L

Mike Lyle wrote:
:: Phil L wrote:
::: Mike Lyle wrote:
::::: Phil L wrote:
:::::: I'm going to have to build a soakaway, which will take surface
:::::: water from a 55m2 garden...there are no drains in the area.
:::::: The subsoil is mostly clay, but it's at the top of a hill - what
:::::: size should I dig the hole and what should I fill it with? - there
:::::: are no limits to the size of hole, nor to the infill material(s)
::::::
:::::: TIA
:::::
::::: For anything like this, you can't beat McCormack:
::::: http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain08.html
:::::
::::: --
::::: Mike.
:::
::: That's just the thing I'm looking for, although it's not looking too
::: promising WRT the heavy clay soil :-(
::: ...and it's only about 2ft deep, sitting on top of sandstone - it's
::: looking like I'll have to dig a 20m trench to lay a new drain, which
::: i was ring to avoid as it goes under a wall.
::
:: Surely you're quids in if it's only two feet down to sandstone?

Not really as I can't get it deep enough to be effective, it will need to be
1.3 metres deep and I'm not going two feet into sandstone!
Another drawback is that it's going to be less than 5 metres away from a
building, two of them in fact, both houses.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.