Old 08-10-2005, 04:13 PM
Phil L

Default Soakaway

I'm going to have to build a soakaway, which will take surface water from a
55m2 garden...there are no drains in the area.
The subsoil is mostly clay, but it's at the top of a hill - what size should
I dig the hole and what should I fill it with? - there are no limits to the
size of hole, nor to the infill material(s)

TIA

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 08-10-2005, 04:40 PM
Mike Lyle

Phil L wrote:
I'm going to have to build a soakaway, which will take surface

water
from a 55m2 garden...there are no drains in the area.
The subsoil is mostly clay, but it's at the top of a hill - what

size
should I dig the hole and what should I fill it with? - there are

no
limits to the size of hole, nor to the infill material(s)

TIA

For anything like this, you can't beat McCormack:
http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain08.html

--
Mike.

Old 08-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Phil L

Mike Lyle wrote:
:: Phil L wrote:
::: I'm going to have to build a soakaway, which will take surface water
::: from a 55m2 garden...there are no drains in the area.
::: The subsoil is mostly clay, but it's at the top of a hill - what size
::: should I dig the hole and what should I fill it with? - there are no
::: limits to the size of hole, nor to the infill material(s)
:::
::: TIA
::
:: For anything like this, you can't beat McCormack:
:: http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain08.html
::
:: --
:: Mike.

That's just the thing I'm looking for, although it's not looking too
promising WRT the heavy clay soil :-(
....and it's only about 2ft deep, sitting on top of sandstone - it's looking
like I'll have to dig a 20m trench to lay a new drain, which i was ring to
avoid as it goes under a wall.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 08-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Mike Lyle

Phil L wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:
Phil L wrote:
[...]

Surely you're quids in if it's only two feet down to sandstone?

--
Mike.

Old 08-10-2005, 05:27 PM
Phil L

Mike Lyle wrote:
:: Phil L wrote:
::: Mike Lyle wrote:
::::: Phil L wrote:
:::::: I'm going to have to build a soakaway, which will take surface
:::::: water from a 55m2 garden...there are no drains in the area.
:::::: The subsoil is mostly clay, but it's at the top of a hill - what
:::::: size should I dig the hole and what should I fill it with? - there
:::::: are no limits to the size of hole, nor to the infill material(s)
::::::
:::::: TIA
:::::
::::: For anything like this, you can't beat McCormack:
::::: http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain08.html
:::::
::::: --
::::: Mike.
:::
::: That's just the thing I'm looking for, although it's not looking too
::: promising WRT the heavy clay soil :-(
::: ...and it's only about 2ft deep, sitting on top of sandstone - it's
::: looking like I'll have to dig a 20m trench to lay a new drain, which
::: i was ring to avoid as it goes under a wall.
::
:: Surely you're quids in if it's only two feet down to sandstone?

Not really as I can't get it deep enough to be effective, it will need to be
1.3 metres deep and I'm not going two feet into sandstone!
Another drawback is that it's going to be less than 5 metres away from a
building, two of them in fact, both houses.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 08-10-2005, 05:54 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Phil L wrote:

Not really as I can't get it deep enough to be effective, it will need to be
1.3 metres deep and I'm not going two feet into sandstone!

Well, the answer to how large a soakaway has to be in clay is that
it is not a question[*].

Another drawback is that it's going to be less than 5 metres away from a
building, two of them in fact, both houses.

Sad. Provided that you can reach free-draining soil, it doesn't
matter. Our 1930s house had soakaways less than 5 INCHES from
the hous (on 60% sand).
[*] I.e. the predicate is false. To translate, any soakaway on
clay will fill up eventually in the UK, as precipitation exceeds
evaporation even in Essex. My father-in-law dug one 2+ metres
deep and a similar width, and it did, every winter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.