Old 09-10-2005, 02:21 AM
World Traveler

Suggestion: -- Once you've moved in and started landscaping you may find
that you use the tractor as much to pull a garden cart or other accessories
as for mowing. My preferred solution has been the best John Deere lawn
tractor I can afford, plus a Rubbermaid trailer, to which I've added side
posts and various brackets to hold tools. I've got one acre, and use the
lawn tractor for moving landscape timbers, pavers, bags of fertilizer,
towing a sprayer, lawn sweeper, etc. I use the tractor for non-mowing
purposes about 75% of the time. I've also got an attachment so that I can
put on a ball hitch to move a couple of light-weight boat trailers.

The ZTRs that I've seen don't have a towing capability, but I haven't spent
much time looking at them.

I would only consider a ZTR if (1) I had a very large number of obstacles to
mow around, and (2) it had a towing capability.

Also, I seem to be the only one on this newsgroup that doesn't see any
reason to pay extra for a hydrostatic transmission. I would rather put that
money into a larger mower or other accessories, such as a canopy.
Regards --

"Craig Davis" wrote in message
I just purchased a home with 1 1/2 acres of fairly level and open lawn.
Any information that will help me make a good decision on what to purchase
will be appreciated. Do I need a lawn tractor or a riding lawn mower. How
much HP is needed? How wide a cut? Any thoughts on which brands to
consider or stay away from would be appreciated.