Old 17-01-2003, 02:45 PM
Dwayne

Default Tree pruning help???

To prune live wood, always do it when it is dormant. You can cut out a dead
branch anytime. You didn't mention what kind of tree it was. If it is a
fruit tree it should be pruned every year, otherwise only when you need to
improve its looks.

Additionally, fruit trees might be better off to prune them as late in the
dormancy season as possible. I have no proof of this, but have been told
that pruning them as late in their dormancy season as possible will give
then a better chance to avoid a late spring frost.

If it is a fruit tree most should be pruned to resemble the traditional
Christmas tree shape. The exceptions to this is the peach, apricot, and
probably nectarine. They should be pruned to allow as much sunshine down
into the center of the tree.

The general rules I follow are 1) remove all dead wood. 2) remove all
branches (Off the main trunk) that are growing straight or nearly straight
up or toward the ground, or toward the center of the tree.. 3) remove all
branches that if left alone, will touch another branch and cause damage to
themselves. 4) Keep in mind what I want the tree to look like in 5 to 10
years, and then try to shape it to grow that direction.

Good luck. Dwayne

"Celtmoon :-)" wrote in message
Hi anyone, and everyone,

I can't ever remember posting here, but here goes anyway...

Is there anyone who can help?

Would it be advisible to prune a tree round about nowish? It's 8ft tall,
with branches all over (no doubt!!!) I think it's about 10-15 years old,
more likely about 10ish.

It's a nice tree, but it's getting a tad on the large side. And, although

can generally find information on pruning, nothing really tells me when!

Thx in advance...

:-)