Old 17-01-2003, 10:21 AM
Celtmoon :-\)

Default Tree pruning help???

Hi anyone, and everyone,

I can't ever remember posting here, but here goes anyway...

Is there anyone who can help?

Would it be advisible to prune a tree round about nowish? It's 8ft tall,
with branches all over (no doubt!!!) I think it's about 10-15 years old,
more likely about 10ish.

It's a nice tree, but it's getting a tad on the large side. And, although I
can generally find information on pruning, nothing really tells me when!

Thx in advance...

:-)

Old 17-01-2003, 01:53 PM
Celtmoon :-\)

No, no, no! Thank you very much indeed!
You're a very generous person. Some people aren't.

I am very grateful for all the advice you gave :-)

Thanks!

"Dwayne" wrote in message
Sorry if I got carried away. I just looked at your original message and
realized you didnt ask for all of that. I guess that is what happens when
we get old. Dwayne

Old 17-01-2003, 02:11 PM
Victoria Clare

"Celtmoon :-\)" wrote in
:

Hi anyone, and everyone,

I can't ever remember posting here, but here goes anyway...

Is there anyone who can help?

Would it be advisible to prune a tree round about nowish? It's 8ft
tall, with branches all over (no doubt!!!) I think it's about 10-15
years old, more likely about 10ish.

It's a nice tree, but it's getting a tad on the large side. And,
although I can generally find information on pruning, nothing really
tells me when!

Any idea what sort of tree it is, Celtmoon? It may make a difference.
Generally, yes this is a good time of year to prune deciduous trees, as 1)
they are dormant, and 2) so is everything else, so if you saw a bit off and
it crashes down on something else accidentally, the damage usually heals up
in the spring.

(oddly this second bit of advice I have never seen in gardening books, but
it definitely applies...)

If tree is getting too big, it's tempting to just prune the ends off all
round, but (depending on what sort of tree it is) you may then end up with
the ends coming back twice as thick and spoiling the look of the tree.

As Dwayne says, usually better to prune off whole branches, even if that
does mean taking off a few big ones to make space for the younger ones.
Take them off at the junction with another branch, and you avoid the ugly
effect of a tree all covered in stumps as the branch will heal up and just
head off in a new direction.

HTH

Victoria

Old 17-01-2003, 02:45 PM
Dwayne

To prune live wood, always do it when it is dormant. You can cut out a dead
branch anytime. You didn't mention what kind of tree it was. If it is a
fruit tree it should be pruned every year, otherwise only when you need to
improve its looks.

Additionally, fruit trees might be better off to prune them as late in the
dormancy season as possible. I have no proof of this, but have been told
that pruning them as late in their dormancy season as possible will give
then a better chance to avoid a late spring frost.

If it is a fruit tree most should be pruned to resemble the traditional
Christmas tree shape. The exceptions to this is the peach, apricot, and
probably nectarine. They should be pruned to allow as much sunshine down
into the center of the tree.

The general rules I follow are 1) remove all dead wood. 2) remove all
branches (Off the main trunk) that are growing straight or nearly straight
up or toward the ground, or toward the center of the tree.. 3) remove all
branches that if left alone, will touch another branch and cause damage to
themselves. 4) Keep in mind what I want the tree to look like in 5 to 10
years, and then try to shape it to grow that direction.

Good luck. Dwayne

Old 17-01-2003, 04:54 PM
Alison

"Celtmoon :-)" wrote in message

Would it be advisible to prune a tree round about nowish? It's 8ft tall,
with branches all over (no doubt!!!) I think it's about 10-15 years old,
more likely about 10ish.

It's a nice tree, but it's getting a tad on the large side. And, although

can generally find information on pruning, nothing really tells me when!

If it is a cherry then I believe it's best to wait until May/June - at any
other time of year they can apparently succumb to 'Silver Leaf' disease
which can kill the tree. That's what we were told by the Arboricultural
Association anyway so we're waiting til a lil later in the year to prune our
10 cherries (what a daunting task!)

--A

Old 19-01-2003, 10:56 AM
Michael Berridge

Alison wrote in message ...

If it is a cherry then I believe it's best to wait until May/June - at

any
other time of year they can apparently succumb to 'Silver Leaf' disease
which can kill the tree. That's what we were told by the

Arboricultural
Association anyway so we're waiting til a lil later in the year to

prune our
10 cherries (what a daunting task!)

Plums and gages are not a good idea at this time for the same reason.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk