Old 11-10-2005, 08:24 PM
Treedweller

On 9 Oct 2005 15:18:35 -0700, wrote:

I've got a young 4-in-1 plum tree that was blown over a couple of weeks
ago. Thing is, it didn't break completely through and the bark seems
undisturbed on one side. Not only did the tree not die, it's still
growing. Is there any chance that this thing might go on to heal and
live a healthy life, if propped up sturdily enough, or is it a lost
cause? If I had to replace, this would be a good time, except that
nobody seems to be offering these right now.

Two caveats:
If the new growth is coming from below the break (or, more to the
point, below the graft), it won't fruit true to the variety.

If you right the tree, don't try to hold it together by wrapping
string, wire, or whatever, around the trunk. It will act like a noose
and kill the tree later (probably). Instead, drill through the trunk
perpendicular to the split and bolt the two sides together (at least
two places, maybe more if it is a long split--drill in slightly
different directions for each rof so the holes won't create a new
split between them). Use threaded rod ("all-thread") and nuts/washers
big fender washers to help distribute the load over a wider spot).
Used to be recommended to cut away a circle of bark under the
hardware, but now we don't bother--the compressed bark acts like a
second washer/shock absorber.

Based on your description, I imagine you will need a pretty major
staking operation, as well, and the tree will always need the external
support. This is contrary to what you might hear in general, since
the staking should be removed after a year from a good tree (maybe
more for fruits, based on earlier post--I'm not an orchardist). A
split branch or trunk will never knit back together. Even with the
bolts and everything, tree movement may actually lengthen the crack
over time.

I wouldn't spend a whole lot of money on this, but since you like the
tree and can't find another, it's worth a try. The actual hardware
shouldn't cost all that much, and if you have a good drill it will be
pretty easy. Don't be too disappointed, though, if things don't go
well.

Good luck,
Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist #TX-0236AT