Old 09-10-2005, 11:18 PM

Default Hope for fallen tree?

I've got a young 4-in-1 plum tree that was blown over a couple of weeks
ago. Thing is, it didn't break completely through and the bark seems
undisturbed on one side. Not only did the tree not die, it's still
growing. Is there any chance that this thing might go on to heal and
live a healthy life, if propped up sturdily enough, or is it a lost
cause? If I had to replace, this would be a good time, except that
nobody seems to be offering these right now.

Old 10-10-2005, 07:34 AM
sherwindu

It really depends on how big is the break. The tree needs a path of cambium growth
to feed the upper branches. A tree with it's trunk completely girdled, that is broken
cambium (the green layer just underneath the bark) all the way around, will not survive.
You can do some fancy 'bridging' grafts to re-establish this path. However,
if there is sufficient continuous cambium left, the tree may still survive. You may have
to do some work splinting the broken area and staking the tree for support. It all depends
on how much work you want to put into it. If the tree is adversely effected, you will begin
to see die off starting at the top of the tree and working it's way down. This could be
quick, or it may take a few seasons to completely go. Young fruit trees typically need
staking until their trunks widen enough, especially grafted dwarf varieties which could
break at the graft. This is especially true if the tree is out in the open in an unprotected
spot. You can try and repair this one, and see what happens.

Sherwin D.

Old 11-10-2005, 12:15 AM

I like the tree, and I would like to save it. I planted it last spring
as a four-foot stick, and it's already grown to about 10 feet tall and
borne fruit once. Is that abnormally fast growth? Would that help
account for its breaking? It broke below the graft, and it's next to a
fence, so it's not really unprotected. It lost a limb earlier this
year, so maybe it's weak-wooded.

Old 11-10-2005, 06:23 AM
sherwindu

That seems like rapid growth for such a tree. This may be due to an extensive
root system on the root stock causing the tree to put out a lot of matching
top growth. Plum is in the cherry family, which is normally a hard wood,
but this rapid growth may have caused the tree to develop softer wood.
If you support the tree as I mentioned earlier, the trunk will eventually thicken
up and the tree will be less prone to break. Although it is next to a fence,
if it is upwind of the prevailing winds in your area, it will still take the full
impact of these winds. If you lost the limb because of too much fruit on
it, try thinning more aggressively. Another possibility is some animal, like
a deer breaking the branches or pushing the tree over.

Sherwin

Old 11-10-2005, 08:24 PM
Treedweller

On 9 Oct 2005 15:18:35 -0700, wrote:

I've got a young 4-in-1 plum tree that was blown over a couple of weeks
ago. Thing is, it didn't break completely through and the bark seems
undisturbed on one side. Not only did the tree not die, it's still
growing. Is there any chance that this thing might go on to heal and
live a healthy life, if propped up sturdily enough, or is it a lost
cause? If I had to replace, this would be a good time, except that
nobody seems to be offering these right now.

Two caveats:
If the new growth is coming from below the break (or, more to the
point, below the graft), it won't fruit true to the variety.

If you right the tree, don't try to hold it together by wrapping
string, wire, or whatever, around the trunk. It will act like a noose
and kill the tree later (probably). Instead, drill through the trunk
perpendicular to the split and bolt the two sides together (at least
two places, maybe more if it is a long split--drill in slightly
different directions for each rof so the holes won't create a new
split between them). Use threaded rod ("all-thread") and nuts/washers
big fender washers to help distribute the load over a wider spot).
Used to be recommended to cut away a circle of bark under the
hardware, but now we don't bother--the compressed bark acts like a
second washer/shock absorber.

Based on your description, I imagine you will need a pretty major
staking operation, as well, and the tree will always need the external
support. This is contrary to what you might hear in general, since
the staking should be removed after a year from a good tree (maybe
more for fruits, based on earlier post--I'm not an orchardist). A
split branch or trunk will never knit back together. Even with the
bolts and everything, tree movement may actually lengthen the crack
over time.

I wouldn't spend a whole lot of money on this, but since you like the
tree and can't find another, it's worth a try. The actual hardware
shouldn't cost all that much, and if you have a good drill it will be
pretty easy. Don't be too disappointed, though, if things don't go
well.

Good luck,
Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist #TX-0236AT

[IMG] code is On

Fallen Tree-4540 Maroochy Garden Photos 0 27-06-2009 10:10 AM
A tree has fallen on my garden! [email protected] United Kingdom 25 28-09-2007 02:20 PM
Fallen tree? BE Gardening 6 16-01-2006 07:02 AM
How much to remove a fallen tree after hurricane jacky Lawns 6 02-09-2005 05:03 AM
First aid help req! The heads fallen off our Marguerite tree [email protected] United Kingdom 0 14-04-2003 08:44 PM