Old 17-01-2003, 06:13 PM
bnd777

Default Hedge Alternatives

Escallonia, Pyracantha

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Yes this is a re-post, but I guess the title of the last message didn't

make
it.

I have been getting local tree surgeons to quote for removal of a number

of
Blue Lawcon (spelling?) cyprus trees which have been "let go" by the
previous house owner.

A row of 18 is coming out which I want to replace with something

hedge-like.
The hedge forms a boundary with the pavement, running in front and to the
side of the house.
One reason for removing these is the proximity to the house - to the side,
the trees are approx 5 feet from the brick work.

Replacements would have the following requirements:

Be OK in East Yorkshire, close to hill top therefore quite exposed.
Achieve 5-6ft height for privacy.
Have non-invasive root system and not drag all water from surroundings

(not
pose subsidence threat).
Have fairly dense foliage for privacy.
Not take too long to achieve 3-4 ft (to define the boundary again)
Preferably not lose all foliage in winter (and loss of privacy)
Not require regular attention water/feed once established, except

trimming.
Preferably self supporting in the long term
Be resistant to passing pedestrian and animal traffic (and the attentions

of
the latter)

We have used Lleylandi in the past, but would like to try something
different and less controversial.
Would be interested in using 2 or 3 different species for more character
rather than just a block hedge.

Any comments, suggestions or further questions for clarification
appreciated.
Would be pleased if links could be given to photos of recommended plants.

TIA

Phil