Old 17-01-2003, 06:45 PM
PaulK

Default Hedge Alternatives

"TheScullster" wrote in message

Any comments, suggestions or further questions for clarification
appreciated.
Would be pleased if links could be given to photos of recommended plants.

I still think Yew is the beat hedging plant. It's reputation for slow growth
is unjustified - trench of manure below it and put a leaky hose along the
length for the first couple of years and it will romp away.

You don't indicate budget or if you will be doing it yourself. I'm putting a
yew hedge in for a client next week: Rootablled plants, 90/105cm tall. at 60
cm centres, £17 per plant ex trade nursery. ie a fraction of garden centre
prices and an instant hedge.

I put an instant 2m hedge in a while ago, £60 per plant.

A general tip on things like this - Trade nurseries will give you very short
shrift if you turn up and ask for one each of half a dozen things, but if
you turn up with a bulging wallet and want trade quantities of things they
will not turn you away.

pk