Old 12-10-2005, 09:18 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message
Hi

I am interested in planting a Elaeagnus pungens 'Maculata' in a corner
of the garden as I have read that they are very tough and can withstand
difficult situations and conditions. I've been looking online but the
trouble is different online web shops give very different height
guidelines for this plant. Crocus say 5m while Duchy of Cornwall say
2m! Why is there such a huge variation and which height is most
accurate? Are they using different timescales for ultimate height
achievable perhaps? I understand that the plant's height might vary
with conditions, but surely not as much as 3 meters?

The place I am thinking of is quite a sheltered corner (but on the other
side of the fence are some pollarded sycamores which might cause a
delicate plant to fail) which gets some, but not a lot of, sun and I am
hoping it will grow to 10ft+ to provide some privacy screening from next
door and maybe brighten up the corner a bit.

Lynda

They can be slow to start but are eventually very vigorous, 5M is possible
but being a hedging plant they can be kept smaller,

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk