Old 11-10-2005, 07:04 PM
Lynda Thornton

Default Elaeagnus pungens 'Maculata' - growth/habit

Hi

I am interested in planting a Elaeagnus pungens 'Maculata' in a corner
of the garden as I have read that they are very tough and can withstand
difficult situations and conditions. I've been looking online but the
trouble is different online web shops give very different height
guidelines for this plant. Crocus say 5m while Duchy of Cornwall say
2m! Why is there such a huge variation and which height is most
accurate? Are they using different timescales for ultimate height
achievable perhaps? I understand that the plant's height might vary
with conditions, but surely not as much as 3 meters?

The place I am thinking of is quite a sheltered corner (but on the other
side of the fence are some pollarded sycamores which might cause a
delicate plant to fail) which gets some, but not a lot of, sun and I am
hoping it will grow to 10ft+ to provide some privacy screening from next
door and maybe brighten up the corner a bit.

Lynda

Old 12-10-2005, 09:18 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message
[...]

They can be slow to start but are eventually very vigorous, 5M is possible
but being a hedging plant they can be kept smaller,

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 12-10-2005, 06:50 PM
Spider

[...]

Hi Lynda,

I once had a hedge of E.p. 'Maculata'. It was magnificent. Once
established it is very vigorous and, although I had read ultimate height as
3m, I can readily believe it will make more. Shop carefully for a good
yellow variegation, it will look stunning and really cheerful in winter.
Watch out for growth that reverts to the plain green form and remove it at
source, otherwise the even more vigorous green form will take over.

I wonder how big your 'corner' is? Because the Eleagnus will make 3m
through as well as high, it would be better to plant it well out from the
corner - not just to accommodate its growth. but to get it established away
from those Sycamores. The only other problem I forsee is Sooty Mould. This
develops on the honeydew secretions from ahpids and scale bugs, which our
local (overhanging my garden :-{{ !) Sycamores have plagues of. Because
Eleagnus is evergreen it will not shed its leaves en masse; therefore you
could end up with a really filthy-looking shrub. This is probably another
argument for planting it away from the Sycamore-infested corner.

Spider

Old 12-10-2005, 11:43 PM
Lynda Thornton

In article , Spider
writes

[...]

Hi Spider

Thanks for the useful advice and suggestions! The corner is actually
quite a large space and the plant is going into what was some kind of
square raised bed (approx 4ft square) so we will make sure that there
will be plenty of soil above the ground level for it to root into before
it gets down to the level of the sycamore roots fingers crossed! We
tried last year to grow a Pembury blue conifer in a different place by
the fence but it never even made root growth and simply failed to grow
during the summer - when we pulled it up there was no resistance so
that's why I wanted something tough to see how it withstood the
situation.

I will be planting it as far from the boundary as possible, but within
the confines of the stone walls which make the edges of the raised bed.
As the neighbours have just severly pollarded the sycamores I thought
this was an ideal opportunity to get the elaeagnus in, for it to get
established without the trees looming over it for one season at least!
It also has a mature holly hedge and nearby leylandii hedge to contend
with, so it will have to be a tough cookie to survive there and I
couldn't find anything that sounded much tougher apart from laurel which
we are also going to try further down the fence. We'll see which does
better!

I don't mind how vigorous it is, the more the better in the face of the
competition - we will just cut it back a bit if it encroaches too much
but as long as it establishes first ...

Thanks again to all for helpful replies!

Lynda

Old 13-10-2005, 09:40 PM
Registered User

Location: Worthing, England

Bought one of these beauties a couple of years ago, and the label says 1.5 m by 1.5 m (5 foot by 5 foot in real money) which is surprising, as I've seen huge specimens around

The first winter I almost took it back to the nursery, as it shed its leaves, then in the spring the baby leaves appeared, a burnt brown colour. Yikes! definitely dying I thought.

In fact this was healthy new growth, and the whole plant took off that second summer, once I'd given it some basic liquid feed.

Mine covers an area of tat hedge with its lovely cream & green leaves, all year round, grows slowly, and is so well behaved.

Recommmend 'em highly.

Old 14-10-2005, 06:15 PM
Janet Galpin

The message
from Blossom contains these words:

Bought one of these beauties a couple of years ago, and the label says
1.5 m by 1.5 m (5 foot by 5 foot in real money) which is surprising, as
I've seen huge specimens around

The first winter I almost took it back to the nursery, as it shed its
leaves, then in the spring the baby leaves appeared, a burnt brown
colour. Yikes! definitely dying I thought.

In fact this was healthy new growth, and the whole plant took off that
second summer, once I'd given it some basic liquid feed.

Mine covers an area of tat hedge with its lovely cream & green leaves,
all year round, grows slowly, and is so well behaved.

Recommmend 'em highly.

I would echo the fact that they are very slow-growing at least at first.
I have had one for six or seven years and it is still only just about 2
metres tall. A lot of that growth has occurred in the last year.

Janet G