Old 18-01-2003, 11:30 AM
sacha

Default Hedge Alternatives

in article , PaulK at
wrote on 17/1/03 6:45 pm:

"TheScullster" wrote in message

Any comments, suggestions or further questions for clarification
appreciated.
Would be pleased if links could be given to photos of recommended plants.

I still think Yew is the beat hedging plant. It's reputation for slow growth
is unjustified - trench of manure below it and put a leaky hose along the
length for the first couple of years and it will romp away.

snip
I would caution anyone against allowing yews to get wet roots for a long
period. We planted a yew hedge here to screen part of the nursery
polytunnel area from the public area. It's a very wet area in winter and a
number of the yews died. We've now moved the rest to another spot and
re-planted that area with beech!
I totally agree that they grow much faster than most people realise. They
make a very lovely hedge.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk