Old 18-01-2003, 03:24 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Ancient chilli peppers

In article ,
Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot wrote:

I've been given some red chillies that were dried over 40 years ago; is
there any chance the seeds will germinate if planted?

Well, there is always a chance :-) I have no idea how long they keep,
but it is probably worth a go.

If there's an outside chance that they would germinate what would be the
best conditions for them and how would I start them (a good soak first
perhaps?). I have a nice warm airing cupboard if they want it, and a small,
could-be-heated greenhouse.

Depends on how many you have. If you have enough, try several methods.
They aren't extreme tropical plants and so don't need airing cupboard
temperatures, but they do like reasonable warmth to start. They need
to be damp but not wet and with good drainage - much like tomatoes
and so on.

But that is all generalities - I usually can grow them, but am not an
expert.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679