Old 18-01-2003, 08:29 PM

Default Bananas, should we be worried?

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote:

should we be worried about the continued health of our ornamental varieties
or are they resistant to blight etc ?

Its not a major problem in temperate regions - persistently high
temperatures (above 30C for much the time) plus high humidity
encourage the disease.

Don't want to lose our Musa lasiocarpa just yet.

I'm not aware that the disease attacks it. Musella appears to be
remarkably resistant to many viruses and fugal diseases that affect
Musa proper. I don't see this as being a problem with ornamental
bananas being grown in this country, but it could be a major
economical disaster in countries where culinary bananas are a major
source of revenue.
Dave Poole
TORQUAY UK