Old 12-02-2003, 02:25 AM
Carlos P.

Default [IBC] Using Fish Tank water...

Fish tank water contains "nitrates" that are salts. In concentrated
form
these salts are not good for plant roots. I suppose it would be similar
using too much fertilizer.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

Nitrates are not salts.Nitrates is the end product of nitrification.Amonia is
converted to nitrites and nitrites are converted to nitrates.It's produced by
the bacteria that lives in your tank and filter.
I have been keeping fish tanks for almost 2 decades(Reef tanks and African
Cichlids bio type tanks) and have used the water in my freshwater in my
bonsais with no bad efect at all.
My wife also uses this water in her plants all the time.

Sure,fish water is no substitute to a proper concentration plant
fertilizer,but it can be used without problems.

Regards,
Carlos Pimenta
Miami,FL

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: