Old 09-02-2003, 07:35 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Using Fish Tank water...

I would caution against fish tank water because of the concentration of
chemicals likely to be in the water that might over time build up in your
soil, roots and plants.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-02-2003, 07:55 PM
Rich Conley

Specifically what chemicals are you talking about. From my experience, and I keep
quite a bit of fish, the only thing thats in my tanks thats isnt in the tap is
nitrates.

Old 11-02-2003, 11:55 PM
Steve wachs

I used my tank water to water my bonsai trees and all my plants, I am just
careful of the ph and the salt content of the fish tank water.
I never used much salt in my tanks and i just watched the ph before i
watered with the water from the tank i was emptying.
I also rinsed out the filter medium in a bucket of water before tossing out
the filter medium. I deluted it and watered my trees with that water.
steveW

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 12-02-2003, 02:55 AM
Jim Lewis

Nitrates are not salts.Nitrates is the end product of

nitrification.Amonia is
converted to nitrites and nitrites are converted to

nitrates.It's produced by
the bacteria that lives in your tank and filter.
I have been keeping fish tanks for almost 2 decades(Reef tanks

and African
Cichlids bio type tanks) and have used the water in my

freshwater in my
bonsais with no bad efect at all.
My wife also uses this water in her plants all the time.

I certainly agree with your statement that fish tank water can be
used safely for bonsai -- many people do, but . . . Chemically
speaking, Nitrates (whatever the univalent radical NO3 combines
with) are salts/esters. If you don't have a chemistry book, look
up the word in the dictionary.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 12-02-2003, 07:25 PM
Rich Conley

They may be salts...but I'm sure that a good deal of the nitrogen in fertilizer ends
up breaking down into nitrates, so it really cant be that bad...