Old 20-01-2003, 11:30 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Bananas, should we be worried?

In article ,
Sue & Bob Hobden wrote:

"Janet wrote in message :

Not really, because potatoes and tomatoes are both grown all over the
UK; unlike Cavendish bananas. Its unlikely that airborne tropical fungal
spores from commercial banana acreage in the tropics, will reach here;
or survive.

Ah, but what about the tons of Banana skins thrown away daily in this
country, is that not a potential point of entry? Are they fumigated against
fungi spores before entry here?
We compost our skins, hot humid conditions in our heap!

Relatively few parasitic fungi will grow on dead material, so such
fungi will probably not survive composting.

Also, unless you keep your bananas in a hot, humid glasshouse, it is
unlikely that they will suffer from tropical fungi even if they get
exposed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679