Old 20-10-2005, 04:54 AM
Ted Byers

Default This is fall...

"Steve" wrote in message
news
Diana Kulaga wrote:
But know what? We don't have to shovel it, LOL!

Hey... I saw that. Well, snow never knocked anyone's house down. ;-)

Want a bet?

In every mountain range tall enough to have snow, avalanche is a common
threat. And, while I am not sure of other parts of the world, the snow
belts to the south and/or east of each of the great lakes can get enough
snow to crush any building either not designed to bear the weight or not
well maintained. For permanent homes, building codes generally ensure that
the roof on a building will support the weight of snow that can be expected
to accumulate in a winter, but in mobile home parks here, it is not unusual
to see residents up on their roofs removing snow so that their home won't
collapse on them. This is a significent threat here, but collapse is rare
because residents of these home are well aware of the risk and act
accordingly. BTW, here in Canada, it isn't that places outside the snow
belt don't get snow. Rather, those places identified as being in the snow
belts are there because they get much much more snow than the rest of the
region.

Steve (where they say there is a small chance of snow flurries tomorrow
afternoon. I'm going to have to bring those Cymbidiums in one of these
days.)

Snow flurries tomorrow? Bite your fingers, Steve (or your tongue if you
spoke those aweful words while you typed them ;-)! I don't want to see
those words for at least two more months! ;-)

Fortunately for us here, we're seeing close to typical autumn weather, apart
from the occasional day or three with above normal temperatures (but still
much too cool for most of our favourite orchids). I guess this is to be
expected given we had a much hotter and drier summer than normal.

Cheers,

Ted

--
R.E. (Ted) Byers, Ph.D., Ed.D.