Old 19-10-2005, 01:38 AM
Phalguy

Default This is fall...

Hello everyone!

Just wondering how are your plants doing?

For my part, my phals seems to be more active, growing roots and leaves. No
spiking for the moment...

about you?

Claude

Old 19-10-2005, 03:22 AM
J Fortuna

Claude,
As you know from my earlier post, quite a number of my Phals are already
spiking, as are a few of my Paphs. New leaves and roots here as well. Oh,
and my cochleanthes amazonica is very active. Having trouble getting a few
of my plants' mediums to dry out in a timely fashion though -- I may need to
repot more from plastic into clay pots at some point.
Joanna

.. .

Old 19-10-2005, 12:43 PM
Registered User

Hi!
This fall I can see some of the Doritanopsis come with new spikes. Nomally these use to spike in spring, and then flower through the summer. This summer we have moved, and my plants have got more light. I am now curious if the Doritanopsis will be able to grow the spikes and produce flowers. What do you think? Do I have to put up extra light? They now get full sun from south-east to south-west (in two different windows)

Milda
Old 19-10-2005, 06:23 PM
Dave Sheehy

Phalguy ) wrote:
: Hello everyone!

: Just wondering how are your plants doing?

My Burr 'Stephan Isler' is spiking and the Cirr Elizabeth Ann 'Buckleberry'
has spiked and the blooms are opening as I type (eat your heart out K ;-)).
Nothing much else is happening right now.

I attended the show in Sonoma last weekend and came away with a bunch of
cool stuff. I bought a Cycnoches hybrid of some sort, an Aerangis citrata,
and a Gongora fulva for my shadier growing area. I picked up a Cymbidium
tracyanum for the front porch. And I got a Cattleya dowiana 'aurea' which
I have to find a place for. Finally, I'm taking a chance on a Ghost Orchid
just to see what it does. It's sitting in a Vanda basket where it gets light
and can get misted regularly.

Here in my part of the western US it hasn't gotten cool enough to trigger the
Phals to spike yet so I just get to listen with envy about everybody else's
phals.

Dave

Old 19-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Diana Kulaga

We are having toad thumpers today (t-storms and heavy rain), so we just
moved the Phal stands right up against the house to get them out of the
blowing water. Expect Phal spikes in a few weeks, as we have entered a
period in which there will be a suitable diurnal temp range to instigate
spiking.

The Vandas are loving the rain, as are reed stem Epis. Actually, most of the
'chids like a good soaking like this now and then; they seem to grow
overnight. Unless, that is, Wilma hits and spoils all the fun. Our house has
tons of glass, and tomorrow or Friday we will panel the most vulnerable
areas and make an enclosed safe space for the plants. They hate that! Too
many plants too close together, even if it's only for a few days. Not to
mention hauling them. Yuck. Maybe the forecast will change.

Oh, yeah - Epcs and Catts sending up sheaths and spikes.

Diana

Old 19-10-2005, 09:29 PM
Diana Kulaga

Forgot to mention: When it rains this hard, there are bound to be accidents,
and to day is no exception. We can hear the sirens in all directions, and
the local public radio station has reported that a small plane landed on a
house, which is burning to the ground. Frank just went out to drain down the
pool before it comes up over the patio, and I think the worst of the storms
have passed.

But know what? We don't have to shovel it, LOL!

Diana

Old 19-10-2005, 11:44 PM
Kenni Judd

Diana: Good move, on the Phals. You might be just slightly earlier, but we
usually see our first really good flush of phal spikes right around
Halloween; a few have come earlier, so we have some in bloom now.

See you at the Delray show, hurricanes permitting! Kenni

Old 20-10-2005, 02:04 AM
Steve

Diana Kulaga wrote:
But know what? We don't have to shovel it, LOL!

Hey... I saw that. Well, snow never knocked anyone's house down. ;-)

Steve (where they say there is a small chance of snow flurries tomorrow
afternoon. I'm going to have to bring those Cymbidiums in one of these
days.)
Old 20-10-2005, 04:54 AM
Ted Byers

"Steve" wrote in message
news
Diana Kulaga wrote:
But know what? We don't have to shovel it, LOL!

Hey... I saw that. Well, snow never knocked anyone's house down. ;-)

Want a bet?

In every mountain range tall enough to have snow, avalanche is a common
threat. And, while I am not sure of other parts of the world, the snow
belts to the south and/or east of each of the great lakes can get enough
snow to crush any building either not designed to bear the weight or not
well maintained. For permanent homes, building codes generally ensure that
the roof on a building will support the weight of snow that can be expected
to accumulate in a winter, but in mobile home parks here, it is not unusual
to see residents up on their roofs removing snow so that their home won't
collapse on them. This is a significent threat here, but collapse is rare
because residents of these home are well aware of the risk and act
accordingly. BTW, here in Canada, it isn't that places outside the snow
belt don't get snow. Rather, those places identified as being in the snow
belts are there because they get much much more snow than the rest of the
region.

Steve (where they say there is a small chance of snow flurries tomorrow
afternoon. I'm going to have to bring those Cymbidiums in one of these
days.)

Snow flurries tomorrow? Bite your fingers, Steve (or your tongue if you
spoke those aweful words while you typed them ;-)! I don't want to see
those words for at least two more months! ;-)

Fortunately for us here, we're seeing close to typical autumn weather, apart
from the occasional day or three with above normal temperatures (but still
much too cool for most of our favourite orchids). I guess this is to be
expected given we had a much hotter and drier summer than normal.

Cheers,

Ted

--
R.E. (Ted) Byers, Ph.D., Ed.D.
R & D Decision Support Solutions

Old 20-10-2005, 05:43 PM
Steve

Ted Byers wrote:
In every mountain range tall enough to have snow, avalanche is a common
threat. ...........................
........................in mobile home parks here, it is not unusual
to see residents up on their roofs removing snow so that their home won't
collapse on them. ..............................

We have an avalanche here once in a while but the very restrictive
Adirondack Park Agency keeps people from building houses in places like
that.
Lots of people shovel their roofs around here. I generally don't worry
about it because of the construction style of my house. Once or twice in
the last 25 years there has been enough snow to make me nervous, and I
cleared the roof just to be safe.

Steve

Old 20-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 17:23:04 +0000 (UTC),
(Dave Sheehy) wrote:
................ clipped...........................
I attended the show in Sonoma last weekend and came away with a bunch of
cool stuff. I bought a Cycnoches hybrid of some sort, an Aerangis citrata,
and a Gongora fulva for my shadier growing area. I picked up a Cymbidium
tracyanum for the front porch. And I got a Cattleya dowiana 'aurea' which
I have to find a place for. Finally, I'm taking a chance on a Ghost Orchid
just to see what it does. It's sitting in a Vanda basket where it gets light
and can get misted regularly.

................ clipped...........................
Dave

Missed seeing you in Sonoma. We were there from Wed. night to
Sat. noon. Judged with Kath. Fun and a nice - nice sale. I
promised to not buy. So I only came away with 4. Have to blame
Bulbo Jersey. There was a great one in the show. I could not
resist buying one from Cal-Orchids along with Ang elephaninum &
Aerangis pumilio. After Alan Koch's talk I got Lc Kiritsubo. I
should have gotten it Thursday night during the preview party.
The plant I loved then was gone. It is the only one in bloom,
but it got so beat up on the way home I can not photograph it.

I wanted to ask someone there about the three tier judging.
Novice, Intermediate, Advanced/Commercial. What are the
differences and criteria for a person/plant to be in a level?

We group the hobby growers for ribbon judging and have a second
class for Professional growers (Denver Botanic Garden and
Commercial growers). We have an award for the Novice doing the
first display in a judged show. Before the Professional status
was set up, hobby growers were loosing all the ribbons to the
Denver Botanic Gardens. We thought the hobby growers deserved to
have a better shot at ribbons.

SuE
Old 20-10-2005, 08:48 PM
Dave Sheehy

Susan Erickson ) wrote:
: On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 17:23:04 +0000 (UTC),
: (Dave Sheehy) wrote:
: ............... clipped...........................
: I attended the show in Sonoma last weekend and came away with a bunch of
: cool stuff. I bought a Cycnoches hybrid of some sort, an Aerangis citrata,
: and a Gongora fulva for my shadier growing area. I picked up a Cymbidium
: tracyanum for the front porch. And I got a Cattleya dowiana 'aurea' which
: I have to find a place for. Finally, I'm taking a chance on a Ghost Orchid
: just to see what it does. It's sitting in a Vanda basket where it gets light
: and can get misted regularly.
: ............... clipped...........................
: Dave

: Missed seeing you in Sonoma. We were there from Wed. night to
: Sat. noon.

I was there on Friday and took in most of the lectures. I scanned all the
badges I could see but didn't recognize any of the names. I was a walk in
so all I got was a wrist band, no name badge.

: Judged with Kath. Fun and a nice - nice sale. I
: promised to not buy. So I only came away with 4. Have to blame
: Bulbo Jersey. There was a great one in the show. I could not
: resist buying one from Cal-Orchids along with Ang elephaninum &
: Aerangis pumilio. After Alan Koch's talk I got Lc Kiritsubo.

There were a lot of different kinds of Bulbos for sale but I don't know the
group very well so I didn't buy any although I thought about a B. longissimum
But, it looks pretty similar to Eliz Ann 'Buckleberry' so I passed and
justified it by reasoning that I'd spent enough money already. :-)

Dave

Old 20-10-2005, 09:19 PM
K Barrett

Susan Erickson wrote:
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 17:23:04 +0000 (UTC),
(Dave Sheehy) wrote:
............... clipped...........................

[...]

I was going to go back on Friday, and instead decided I'd had enough of
being away from home, and made Thursday my last day. Enjoyed dinner
with SuE and her husband John. I came away from the Preview night sale
with a peach tone seedling from Fordyce, then - becasue they are
shutting their business - I went to the GH on Saturday and came away
with a few more nice plants, a L purpurata var suavissimum, a white
seedling and a C labiata alba.

As to judging each society decides their criteria for novice, advance,
intermediaet or whatever. So one has to read the show schedule and
depend on one's clerks for difinition of their club's terms. Usually its
based on the number of society trophys the person has won. I see more
clubs lump the commercial and advanced growers into the same category
and call it 'open'.

When I did the Diablo View show I based the definition of novice,
intermediate or advanced on trophies AND years of growing experience,
becasue we'd never done ribbon judging at our shows before. That way
our advanced growers couldn't claim to be novices even though they'd
never taken a DVOS trophy home before.... it wouldn't have been fair to
the new growers.

K Barrett
Old 21-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:19:30 -0700, K Barrett
wrote:
As to judging each society decides their criteria ..................

K Barrett

Last show we had a long time light grower object to the Display
category called "under lights and windowsills" because someone in
the group has a high intensity lamp and she uses fluorescent.
She has been growing long enough and grows well enough to
definitely be pushed to open. I can imagine the fuss then.

Display categories are only used to judge the effects achieved in
the entire display. They are 5 or less plants/flowers, lights,
sunroom, gh by size, society, and educational, art by artist,
flowers in use (arrangements), all for hobby growers. This is
the big trophy class and the reason for the fuss.

SuE

Water fall & filter design, please comment. John Ponds 3 19-06-2003 03:08 PM
Planting wildflower seeds in fall animaux Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:08 AM
Fall tree-collecting ss Bonsai 0 19-03-2003 09:20 PM
fall suggestions Hannah Barnum North Carolina 4 28-02-2003 10:26 PM
seed in fall before spring crabgrass preventer? E Gardener Gardening 5 28-01-2003 12:14 AM