Old 20-10-2005, 04:04 PM
Doug Freyburger

Default edible container garden?

D. Phillips wrote:

As the season comes to a close, I am planning for a container garden for
my deck next year. But I would like it to be edible instead of just for
show and color.

Anyone have any recommendations to what veggies/fruits make a good
container garden?

Decorative squash aren't really edible, but they do count
as veggies and they do get hard enough that you could
plant stuff in the bigger ones. The closest I could get
to containers that are really edible would be opening and
drying out some big pumpkins. Kiln or heat lamp dry to
get them to harden before they go completely ripe and
soft. Should be possible with watermelon rinds, too. ;^)

I like perennial herbs and bushes in containers, so my
vote is for some type of berry bushes. Blueberries,
bilberries, cranberries, lingonberries or similar. Or
dwarf fruit trees. I've planted dwarf fruit trees in the
ground and ended up dgging them back up the next year,
putting them in containers, and replacing them with
non-dwarfs in the ground. Dwarf lemon tree, very pretty
and the lemon's flower is sweet, but the fruit of the
poor lemon is pah-possible to eat ...